Effects of Continuous Positive Airway Pressure on Diaphragm Dimensions in Preterm Infants
- Electrical activity of the diaphragm (Edi) values and Edi catheter placement in non-ventilated preterm neonates. Stein, H; Hall, R; Davis, K; White, D B // Journal of Perinatology;
Objective:The electrical activity of the diaphragm (Edi) reflects neural respiratory drive. Edi peak correlates with inspiratory drive and Edi minimum (Edi min) correlates with the tonic activity of the diaphragm. Edi data in non-ventilated preterm neonates have not been determined.The primary...
- Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Weakness in the Preterm Diaphragm Is Associated with Mitochondrial Electron Transport Chain Dysfunction and Oxidative Stress. Song, Yong; Pinniger, Gavin J.; Bakker, Anthony J.; Moss, Timothy J. M.; Noble, Peter B.; Berry, Clare A.; Pillow, Jane J. // PLoS ONE;Sep2013, Vol. 8 Issue 9, p1
Diaphragmatic contractility is reduced in preterm lambs after lipopolysaccharide (LPS) exposure in utero. The mechanism of impaired fetal diaphragm contractility after LPS exposure is unknown. We hypothesise that in utero exposure to LPS induces a deficiency of mitochondrial complex activity and...
- Effect of Maternal Steroid on Developing Diaphragm Integrity. Song, Yong; Demmer, Denise L.; Pinniger, Gavin J.; Lavin, Tina; MacMillan, Mia V.; Pillow, Jane J.; Bakker, Anthony J. // PLoS ONE;Mar2014, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p1
Antenatal steroids reduce the severity of initial respiratory distress of premature newborn babies but may have an adverse impact on other body organs. The study aimed to examine the effect of maternal steroids on postnatal respiratory muscle function during development and elucidate the...
- Breathing: A DIY model. Stevens, Sarah // Journal of Biological Education (Society of Biology);Winter96, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p242
Presents a model for demonstrating the function of the diaphragm during inhalation and exhalation. Materials; Construction; Operation.
- Duplicated right crus of the diaphragm: a cadaveric case report. Sirasanagandla, Srinivasa Rao; Nayak, Satheesha B.; Bhat, Kumar M. R.; Surendran, Sudarshan; Regunathan, Deepthinath; Kumar, Naveen; Shetty, Surekha D.; Patil, Jyothsna // Journal of the Canadian Chiropractic Association;2014, Vol. 58 Issue 1, p39
The lumbar part of the diaphragm arises from the lumbar vertebrae by right and left crura. The duplication of crura of the diaphragm is rarely reported in the past. During regular dissection classes to the medical students, we came across a case of duplicated right crus of the diaphragm. The...
- Early babies. // Australia's Parents;Apr/May97 Supplement Birth, Issue 98, p49
Focuses on early birth and why doctors are trying to delay them. Why some babies are born too early; Hospital treatment; Preventing preterm labor; Factors triggering preterm labor. INSET: Recommended reading..
- Born too early. // Australia's Parents;Apr/May97 Supplement Having a Baby, Issue 98, p53
Presents facts about premature babies. Premature babies born in Australia; Survival and normal development of premature babies; Preventing prematurity.
- Pre-term babies more likely to suffer long-term health problems. // Community Practitioner;Apr2012, Vol. 85 Issue 4, p7
The article reports on the findings of a research study on 14, 000 pre-term babies born in Great Britain, which reveal that babies born a few weeks early are more likely to suffer long-term health problems like asthma.
- Boys do it tough. Kelly, Elizabeth; Fallows, Carol // Australia's Parents;Aug/Sep97, Issue 100, p56
States that baby boys are most likely to be born prematurely, and often die of infections and other complications. Speculation on why the death rate is higher in boys than girls; Comments from Dr. Jonathan Craig of the Sydney's New Children's Hospital in Australia.