Charter School Changes
- Staying solvent remains a challenge for charter schools. Russell, Judi // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);10/02/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 15, p12
Focuses on the operation of charter schools in Louisiana. Views of charter school administrator Kathy Matheny on the trend of charter schools opening in the state; Account on the enrollment and grade level additions in the International School of Louisiana; Reliance of charter schools on grants...
- Some States Help Charter Schools Put a Roof Overhead. Sandham, Jessica L. // Education Week;06/20/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 41, p23
Reports on state programs designed to help charter schools in the United States. Challenges encountered by charter school operators; States that have active charter programs; Common places where charter operators set up school facilities.
- Charting Course. Johnson, Darv // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);12/30/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 27, p27
Focuses on the role of charter schools in educating area students in New Orleans, Louisiana. Similarity of running a charter school in managing a small business; Problem of small schools concerning state funding; Challenges faced by charter school entrepreneurs.
- Colorado House Approves Charter School Funding Bill. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/4/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31538, p3
Reports on the approval of a bill that increases the percentage of state aid provided to charter schools for facilities financing by the Colorado House of Representatives. Creation of a state intercept program for charter school bonds; Approval of the bill by the Senate; Percentage of funds for...
- Pa. Gives $5 Million to Pay Chester Upland Salaries. // Education Week;9/16/2015, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p4
The article reports that the Chester Upland school district in Pennsylvania has received almost $5 million in state aid to maintain teacher and staff salaries while officials develop a financial-recovery plan for the district, including funding formula negotiations with charter schools.
- Cyber Learning Complicates Charter Funding. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;1/15/2003, Vol. 22 Issue 18, p19
Focuses on the issue of state funding to charter schools following increase in popularity of electronic learning in the U.S. States that have indulged into reducing financial aid to charter schools; Issuance of state policies by Ohio and Pennsylvania to regulate funds to virtual charter schools.
- Arizona Opinion: Give Federal Aid to Company-Run Charters. Bowman, Darcia Harris // Education Week;8/11/2004, Vol. 23 Issue 44, p24
Arizona education officials hope a recent opinion issued by the state attorney general will convince the U.S. Department of Education that charter schools run by for profit companies are entitled to keep millions of federal dollars. At issue is whether charter schools that are run by such...
- Judge Sides With Bid to Open Charter Operators' Books. MCCLATCHY-TKIBUNE // Education Week;10/26/2011, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p5
The article discusses a decision by a judge in Franklin County, Ohio which would require the charter school management company White Hat Management Co. to allow the public access to its financial statements due to the fact that White Hat receives public monies to operate their schools.
- Detroit Charter School Defaults Despite Investor Protections. Devitt, Caitlin // Bond Buyer;10/10/2013, Vol. 122 Issue 33994, p1
The article offers information on defaulting of the Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences, charter school, on its October 1, 2013. It informs that the school debt payment instead of carrying a pledge of state aid and other protections designed to enhance bondholder security. It reports that...