Review: Adding newer disease-modifying drugs or biological agents to methotrexate improved rheumatoid arthritis symptoms
- Leflunomide and Methotrexate: An Effective Pair. Dunkin, Mary Anne; Morgan, Park // Arthritis Today;May/Jun2001, Vol. 15 Issue 3, p36
Reports that the combination of methotrexate and leflunomide, the disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs, can provide greater benefit to people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. Information on a study about the drugs; Side effects of the drugs.
- ACR offers new RA guidance. // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;8/9/2008, Issue 559, p2
The article reports on the guidelines for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RAH) released by the American College of Rheumatology (ACR), co-authored by doctors from the University of Alabama in Birmingham. Key recommendations of the guidelines include, the use of methotrexate or leflunomide...
- Joint research: Implications for treating diseases in rheumatology. PARK, SHARON K. // Pharmacy Today;April2014, Vol. 20 Issue 4, p36
The article discusses the health implications for treating patients with disease and illnesses related to arthritis and rheumatology in the U.S. It provides medical therapies such as the therapy of osteoarthritis (OA), rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and psoriatic arthritis in treating patients. It...
- Combination Therapy for Rheumatoid Arthritis. // Annals of Internal Medicine;11/5/2002, Vol. 137 Issue 9, pI-42
Presents a summary of the study 'Concomitant leflunomide therapy in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis despite stable doses of methotrexate. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial,' published in the November 5, 2002 issue of the 'Annals of Internal Medicine.'
- Concomitant Leflunomide Therapy in Patients with Active Rheumatoid Arthritis despite Stable Doses of Methotrexate. Kremer, Joel M.; Genovese, Mark C.; Cannon, Grant W.; Caldwell, Jacques R.; Cush, John J.; Furst, Daniel E.; Luggen, Michael E.; Keystone, Ed; Weisman, Michael H.; Bensen, William M.; Kaine, Jeffrey L.; Ruderman, Eric M.; Coleman, Patricia; Curtis, David L.; Kopp, Elliot J.; Kantor, Seth M.; Waltuck, Jonathan; Lindsley, Herbert B.; Markenson, Joseph A. // Annals of Internal Medicine;11/5/2002, Vol. 137 Issue 9, p726
Background: Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs may confer greater benefits when combined with the antimetabolite methotrexate. Objective: To evaluate the efficacy and safety of leflunomide versus placebo when added to ongoing, stable-dose methotrexate therapy in patients with persistently...
- Leflunomide/warfarin. // Reactions Weekly;2/19/2011, Issue 1339, p26
The article describes the case of a 63-year-old man who took leflunomide for treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, but developed intra-abdominal abscesses, candidaemia, and meningitis.
- An important step in the treatment of arthritis. Cerrato, Paul L. // RN;Dec98, Vol. 61 Issue 12, p85
Reports on leflunomide (Arava), a drug that relieves the symptoms, and actually slows down the progression of rheumatoid arthritis. Drug's retardation of joint damage; Adverse effects.
- New formulation of cyclosporine effective against RA. // Geriatrics;Sep97, Vol. 52 Issue 9, p97
Discusses the research of OLTR 302 study group on the effectivity of the drug cyclosporin (Neoral) in treating rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Treatment groups used in the study; Improvement of the patients who were treated with cyclosporin; How the patients on microemulsion cyclosporin rated their...
- Double-teaming arthritis. // U.S. News & World Report;7/31/95, Vol. 119 Issue 5, p66
Discusses a story published in the `New England Journal of Medicine' on treatment for rheumatoid arthritis. Finding that the drug methotrexate, taken with cyclosporine, can help relieve swelling, pain and disability for many debilitated patients; Side effects; Contact point for the American...