Benzodiazepines were as safe as and more effective than placebo for out-of-hospital status epilepticus
- Pediatric Seizure Drags Tested. Mitka, Mike // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;6/27/2007, Vol. 297 Issue 24, p2686
This article reports on the setting up of a study on pediatric seizure drugs. The study will determine which of the two drugs commonly prescribed to treat status epilepticus in children is safer and most effective. The study will be conducted at 11 hospitals where children present to the...
- Diazepam gel for persons with seizure clusters. Rose, Verna L. // American Family Physician;11/15/1997, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p2132
Focuses on the approval of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on diazepam rectal gel for the treatment of persons with epilepsy. Mechanisms of action of diazepam; Side effects and indications of the drug.
- Home-help hope. // Pharmaceutical Executive;Jul98, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p96
Provides information on a study of Diastat (diazepam rectal gel) conducted by Athena Nurosciences company. Effectiveness of Diastat in stoping acute seizures; Methodology of the study; Adverse events attributed to Diastat.
- ANXIOLYTIC AND ANTIEPILEPTIC ACTIVITY OF AERIAL PARTS OF FLEMINGIA MACROPHYLLA IN RODENTS. Bhargavi, Ch.; Venkataramana, B. // Journal of Pharmaceutical Research & Health Care;Jan2011, Vol. 3 Issue 1, p2
The present study was undertaken to evaluate the anxiolytic and anti epileptic activity of ethonolic extract of Flemingia macrophylla by using different extract concentrations in rodents. Anxiolytic activity of FME was estimated by using Elevated plus maze test and light-dark model along with...
- Clinic Roundup. // BioWorld Today;3/21/2013, Vol. 24 Issue 54, p7
This section offers news briefs on clinical trials of pharmaceutical drugs. Acorda Therapeutics claimed from its Phase I test that 1 dose of Diazepam Nasal Spray has similar plasma bioavailability to 20 milligrams of diazepam rectal gel, where both of them are used in treating epilepsy. Adocia...
- COMPARATIVE EFFECTS OF DIAZEPAM INFUSION AND DIVIDED DOSES OF DIAZEPAM ON THE TREATMENT OF ABSENCE STATUS EPILEPTICUS. Karimzadeh, P.; khas Afshar, L.; Mosavat, A. // Iranian Journal of Child Neurology;Jun2009, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p15
Objective Absence status epilepticus (ASE) is a common form of nonconvulsive status epilepcticus. It is characterized by loss of consciousness with spike and wave discharges in EEG simultaneously. The most effective treatment of ASE is diazepam, either infusion or in divided doses; the former is...
- Lorazepam. // Reactions Weekly;7/10/2010, Issue 1309, p27
The article describes the case of a 67-year-old woman who acquired osmolar gap metabolic acidosis while undergoing treatment with lorazepam with propylene glycol.
- Physostigmine Reversal of Diazepam-Induced Hypnosis. Avant, G.R.; Speeg, K.V.; Freemon, F.R.; Schenker, S.; Berman, M.L. // Annals of Internal Medicine;Jul79, Vol. 91 Issue 1, p53
Presents information on a study which evaluated the effectiveness of physostigmine as an antagonist to diazepam-induced somnolence and disorientation in man. Effect of the administration of physostigmine; Required dosage of the physostigmine.
- Epilepsy and convulsive disorders. // Geriatrics;Oct97, Vol. 52 Issue 10, p20
Announces the approval of the US Food and Drug Administration on rectal gel formulation of diazepam (Diastat) to control seizure activity in patients with refractory epilepsy and convulsive disorders. Recommended dosage of diazepam depending on the patient's age; Most common adverse effects of...