Oklahoma School Leaders: Raise Taxes to Fix Funding `Disgrace'
- Problems Mount for Pensions. // Education Week;10/12/2011, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p4
The article discusses a report by the Montana Teachers' Retirement System which projects that the pension system for teachers will run out of money by the year 2055.
- Running Out of Options, Tennessee Feels Heat to Institute Income Tax. DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;6/6/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31402, p1
Reports the budget shortfalls in the state of Tennessee. Solution to the spending cuts of the government; Amount of the projected gap in the government; Plans on the increase of sales tax.
- The case for a sales tax. C.S. // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;9/12/94, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p8
Considers how the push to eliminate the deficit has stalled tax reform in Alberta. Recommendations of the tax reform commission; Consideration of a broad-based consumption (sales) tax; Deficit halved; Willingness of Albertans to spend less; Great danger of sales tax; Warnings by University of...
- Expanding state sales tax does disservice to us all. Doerr, David R. // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;1/10/2003, Issue 323032, p21
Discusses why the plan of the legislative body of the state of California to extend the state-local sales tax in order to close the state's budget deficit would have a negative effect on the economy. Discrimination against small businesses; Difficulty related to the administration of sales tax.
- Revenue-Strapped States Face Shortfalls, But Will They Last? DeSue, Tedra // Bond Buyer;02/15/2001, Vol. 335 Issue 31078, p36
Reports on the budget deficits faced by states in the southeast United States. Names of states relying on sales-tax collections for revenues; Creation of tax cuts in North Carolina; Elimination of budget shortfalls in Tennessee.
- The State Deficit. Shyavits, Marci // 21st Century;Jan90, Vol. 1 Issue 5, p9
The author reflects on the use of the sales tax in aiding the budget deficit of Massachusetts. The author states that most of the people are shopping at New Hampshire malls to avoid the 5% sales tax. The author also notes that the government is also planning to increase the sales tax of...
- Parishes, cities taking a hit on sales taxes. Stuart, Stephen // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);10/22/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 18, p4
Reports the influence of recession on the decrease in sales tax in New Orleans, Louisiana. Budget deficit experienced by the city; Decline in the revenue of the tourism industry; Types of taxes considered as revenue generating sources.
- The Die-Hard Communicator. RIVERO, VICTOR // District Administration;Jun2010, Vol. 46 Issue 6, p48
The article discusses the career of school superintendent Margaret Smith of the Volusia County School District in Florida. The obstacles that Smith has faced, including budget cuts, class size, and shrinking student enrollment, are outlined. Smith talks about her "participative leadership" style...
- justify library spending? no problem. Adams, Perry // Teacher Librarian;Oct2004, Vol. 32 Issue 1, p63
Comments on justifying spending for libraries. Problems being faced by school administrators; Effect of budget cut on education; Views on libraries as focal point of the schools.