'The Problem Isn't the 401(k)--the Problem is How to Invest It'
- 'The Problem Isn't the 401(k)--the Problem is How to Invest It' Benna, Ted // Journal of Financial Planning;Jan2003, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p16
This article presents the answers of Ted Benna, the founder of the 401(k) plans in the U.S., to several questions about the plans. He was able to create the plans during the time when he was involved in a consulting project for a bank client and he kept returning to a section of the U.S....
- Auto rebalancing simplifies 401(k) asset reallocation. Sweeney, Kevin // Employee Benefit News;Jul2003, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p33
Presents the results of a survey on managing retirement accounts in the U.S. Sources of information on 401(k) investment; Views of respondents on retirement plans; Benefits of automatic rebalancing to employees. INSET: Benefits of auto rebalancing.
- Are You Spending Too Much on Your 401(k) Plan? Birschel, Dee // Benefits Quarterly;2004 Third Quarter, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p83
An issue for concern in 2004 was whether mutual fund and administration fees were reasonable as mandated by the U.S. Employee Retirement and Income Security Act. Financial officers should examine how much they pay to determine if the 401(k) plan is reasonable. There are several warning signs...
- Roth 401(k) Basics. Okumura, Kirk // Advisor Today;Sep2006, Vol. 101 Issue 9, p28
The article provides information on the eligibility, contribution and distribution rules that apply to the Roth 401 (K) provision in the U.S. The Roth 401 (K) allows employees to make after-tax contributions that can be withdrawn tax free if they are made after a five-year taxable period of...
- When 401(k)s are KO'd. Kahn, Jeremy // Fortune;1/7/2002, Vol. 145 Issue 1, p104
Reports on a proposed bill that would force diversification in company 401(k) plans. Experience of Marie Thibaut, who lost most of her 401(k) savings when Enron collapsed; How many workers put a large portion of their retirement money into their employer's shares; Details of the proposed...
- TIME IS RIPE FOR 401(K) SPONSORS TO REVISIT PACTS. Marquez, Jessica // Workforce Management;Jun2005, Vol. 84 Issue 6, p28
Focuses on a need for 401 (k) pension plan sponsors to renegotiate fees and service arrangements in response to the growth of consolidation among record keepers servicing such plan in the U.S. Comparison of the number of acquisitions that took place from January to April 2005 and in 2004;...
- Auto-rollover of 401 (k) balances: Why it matters. White, Jane; Meigs, Rick // Employee Benefit News;Mar2006, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p51
Discusses the importance of auto-rollover of 401(k) balances. Basic rules of investing for retirement; Reason for favoring the Individual Retirement Account rollover strategy over the employer-plan rollover; Ways retirement savers can minimize investment risk.
- NO FUN WITH FUNDS. Elswick, Jill // Employee Benefit News;Jul2003, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p23
Reports on 401(k) investment options. Move of plan sponsors to reconsider the investment options offered in their 401(k) plans; Factors that influenced their decision to reconsider; Move of participants to stack their portfolios with the most recognizable brand names and hot funds.
- REVAMPING ROTH. Pellet, Jennifer // Entrepreneur;Oct2005, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p60
Reports on a provision in the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 that lets employers in the United States, offer employees a similar retirement savings vehicle within their 40lk plans beginning in 2006. Opportunity of employees to contribute to their after tax retirement...