Oral dexamethasone led to fewer treatment failures than did nebulized dexamethasone or placebo in children with mild croup
- Treatment of croup with parenteral or inhaled steroids. KIRCHNER, JEFFREY T. // American Family Physician;1/1/1999, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p170
Presents a summary of the study `A Comparison of nebulized budesonide, intramuscular dexamethasone, and placebo for moderately severe croup,' by D. W. Johnson, et al. from the `New England Journal of Medicine' dated August 20, 1998.
- GLUCOCORTICOID TREATMENT IN CROUP. Baumer, J. Harry // Archives of Disease in Childhood -- Education & Practice Edition;Aug2006, Vol. 91 Issue 2, p58
The article summarizes the findings of the Cochrane review, where a number of randomised controlled trials of glucocorticoids in children with croup had been published. Studies that compared glucocorticoid and placebo showed that glucocorticoid improved the condition of children and that...
- Steroids for mild croup. Bauchner, Howard // Archives of Disease in Childhood;Feb2005, Vol. 90 Issue 2, p217
The article focuses on the use of steroids in the treatment of mild disease in infants. They are clearly beneficial for children with moderate to severe croup. In a research carried out in Canadian pediatric emergency department, the children were given a single oral dose of dexamethasone or...
- TREATING CROUP WITH DEXAMETHASONE. Spaulding, Cora // Journal of Family Practice;Feb1996, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p111
The article discusses research being done on the use of dexamethasone in the treatment of acute laryngotracheitis. It references a study by M. N. Cruz published in the August 1995 issue of "Pediatrics." The use of steroid is said to reduce the severity of disease in hospitalized patients. Mild...
- When your child has croup. // Patient Care;11/30/1994, Vol. 28 Issue 19, p63
Discusses the management of croup in children. Pathogenesis; Management.
- Controlling for The Placebo Effect. Abelson, Mark B.; Fink, Kate // Review of Ophthalmology;Apr2003, Vol. 10 Issue 4, p100
Discusses vital facts about the placebo effect in the United States. Definition of placebo; Overview of similar non-placebo effects; Drug side effects.
- The power of the placebo. // HealthFacts;Jun94, Vol. 19 Issue 181, p1
Focuses on the placebo effect. Discussion of a review of 75 articles that affirms the relevancy of the placebo response to all medical treatments including surgery; Report in `JAMA,' May 25, 1994; Judith A. Turner, reviewer; Internal mammary artery ligation.
- The power of placebos. Lipman, Marvin M. // Consumer Reports on Health;Feb96, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p23
Stresses the effectiveness of placebo effect. Outcome of controlled medical studies on placebo; Samples of placebo treatment including acupuncture and chiropractic treatment; Impact of psychologic power over physiology.
- Concept of true and perceived placebo effects. Ernst, E.; Resch, K.L. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);8/26/95, Vol. 311 Issue 7004, p551
Differentiates between the perceived and true placebo effect. Size of the perceived placebo effect in relation to the true placebo effect; Unidentified parallel interventions; Requirements in describing a placebo response; Natural course of diseases and other time effects.