Review: Extended out-of-hospital prophylaxis with heparin prevents deep venous thrombosis in elective hip arthroplasty
- Efficacy and Safety of Enoxaparin To Prevent Deep Venous Thrombosis after Hip Replacement Surgery. Spiro, Theodore E.; Johnson, Gerhard J.; Christie, Michael J.; Lyons, Roger M.; MacFarlane, Donald E.; Blasier, Ralph B.; Tremaine, M. David // Annals of Internal Medicine;7/15/94, Vol. 121 Issue 2, p81
Objective: To determine the most effective and safe dose of enoxaparin to prevent deep venous thrombosis in high-risk surgical patients. Design: A double-blind, randomized, multicenter clinical trial. Setting: Private, university, and government hospitals in the United States. Patients: 572...
- CME quiz. // Orthopedics;Nov2003, Vol. 26 Issue 11, p1162
Presents a quiz concerning the dosing and timing of low-molecular-heparin thromboprophylaxis in total hip arthroplasty.
- Prevention of postoperative venous thromboembolism in Japanese patients undergoing total hip or knee arthroplasty: two randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studies with three dosage regimens of enoxaparin. Takeshi Fuji; Takahiro Ochi; Shigeo Niwa; Satoru Fujita // Journal of Orthopaedic Science;Sep2008, Vol. 13 Issue 5, p442
Abstract BackgroundÂ Â Enoxaparin is a low-molecular-weight heparin indicated in Europe and North America for the prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in patients undergoing major orthopedic surgery. Registration trials of enoxaparin have been conducted primarily in Caucasian...
- Prevention of deep vein thrombosis after hip replacement: randomised comparison between unfractionated heparin and low molecular weight heparin. Leyvraz, P.F.; Bachmann, F.; Hoek, J.; Buller, H.R.; Postel, M.; Samama, M.; Vandenbroek, M.D. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);9/7/91, Vol. 303 Issue 6802, p543
Examines the effectiveness of two subcutaneous prophylactic regimens for postoperative deep vein thrombosis in patients undergoing total hip replacement in Europe. Comparison between low molecular wight heparin and unfractioned heparin; Application of prophylactic measures in hip surgery; Use...
- The risk of venous clots and heparin therapy. Ferraro, Julia // RN;Dec96, Vol. 59 Issue 12, p16
Shows the effectiveness of heparin in controlling deep vein thromboembolism for patients who had total hip replacement. Comparison of this therapy from placebos; Cost effectiveness of the therapy.
- New Anticoagulants for the Prevention of Thromboembolism. Lepic, Kylie; Crowther, Mark // Current Pharmaceutical Design;10/21/2010, Vol. 16 Issue 31, p3472
No abstract available.
- Low-Molecular-Weight Heparins: Weeks or Months Instead of Days of Treatment. Kher, A.; Samama, M. M. // Clinical & Applied Thrombosis/Hemostasis;Oct2001, Vol. 7 Issue 4, p314
Low-molecular-weight heparins (LMWHs) have been used for more than a decade in the prophylaxis and treatment of venous thromboembolism and recently in coronary artery disease. During the past few years, the duration of treatment has been increased in several pathologic conditions. A number of...
- Implementation of the NICE Guidelines for Venous Thromboprophylaxis; A National Survey of Hip Surgeons. SHARIF, KHALID M.; REHMAN, SHEIKH FAZAL; NUNN, TIMOTHY; BAGGA, TAJESH K. // Hip International;Jan-Mar2009, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p58
The 2007 United Kingdom National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) thromboprophylaxis guidelines concerning hip arthroplasty remain contentious in spite of significant evidence. A survey among British Hip Society members was performed to investigate the impact of these...
- Novel concepts: Emerging data and the role of extended prophylaxis following hip fracture surgery. Dobesh, Paul P. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;11/15/2003 Supplement 7, Vol. 60, p15
Explores the role of extended prophylaxis following hip fracture surgery. Duration of hospitalization following major knee and hip surgeries; Risks of venous thromboembolism after major knee and hip arthroplasty; Effectiveness of fondaparinux treatment to reduce the incidence of all VTE events.