- Carbohydrates. // Current Health 1;Mar1995, Vol. 18 Issue 7, p6
Focuses on carbohydrates. Creation of carbohydrates; Sugars, starches and fiber as classifications of carbohydrates; Body's use of carbohydrates; Facts and fallacies on carbohydrates; Facts on fiber; Fibers in whole grain foods; Sugars as sources of quick energy. INSET: Ancient grains..
- The age of carbohydrates is over. Crayhon, Robert // Total Health;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p21
Reports on a study which defined the concept of a balanced diet as one where carbohydrate intake is low. How the study was conducted; Discussion of study results; Conclusion.
- The 40/30/30 plan. Gittleman, Anne Louise // Total Health;Jul/Aug97, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p55
Discusses how cutting down on carbohydrates and upping the right fats will turn a person's body into a fat burning machine by accessing stored body fat for fuel. Composition of the 40/30/30 formula; Reasons why diet is an important tool in body shaping; Hormonal effect of food. INSET: Untitled...
- Ask the nutritionist. Cohen, Sharon // Shape;Jul2004, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p150
Presents information on low-carbohydrate, high-protein Atkins diet, which is being publicized as good for the heart.
- Carb control [the smart way]. Tallmadge, Katherine // Shape;Jun2004, Vol. 23 Issue 10, p218
Presents information on low-carbohydrate diet. INSET: A carb primer.
- FEELING BLUE? TRY A HIGH CARB, LOW FAT DIET. Schurmann, Shirley // Australasian College of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine Jou;Dec2009, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p18
The article presents an Australian study revealing that high carbohydrate diet was more beneficial to the dieter's mood compared to a low carbohydrate diet that is high in fat and protein.
- Reduced carbohydrate diet improved metabolic outcomes in young black girls. Costa, Samantha; Schoen, John // Endocrine Today;May2012, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p34
The article discusses research on the metabolic outcomes of a reduced carbohydrate diet in black girls.
- β-glucan. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p227
A definition of the term "β-glucan," which is any one of a class of complex carbohydrate nutrients derived from yeast, with immune-stimulating and anti-microbial properties and are promoted as dietary supplement, is presented.
- Advising patients about low-carbohydrate diets. DiLoreto, Stacy // Patient Care;6/15/2001, Vol. 35 Issue 11, p76
Presents an overview of low-carbohydrate diets. Effects of equal quantities of different carbohydrates on blood glucose levels; Recommendations for patients taking low-carbohydrate diet; Potential side effects of low-carbohydrate diets.