UKAEA plans nuclear waste store project
- DISMANTLING A NUCLEAR REACTOR. Gray, Kevin; Design, Bryan Christie // Fast Company;Jun2011, Issue 156, p34
The article presents information on the dismantling of a nuclear power plant located in Zion, Illinois which was started up in 1973 and shut down in 1998, focusing on the procedures necessary for disposing of radioactive waste.
- Greens Help Shut US Nuke. // Earth Island Journal;Spring2000, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p20
Reports on the dismantling of the Humboldt Bay nuclear plant in Northern California. Savings from the decommissioning of the plant.
- Wurgassen decommissioning. // Modern Power Systems;Nov95, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p7
Reports on the application of German utility firm PreussenElektra to the NorthshrineWestphalia ministry for a license to decommission the Wurgassen nuclear power plant. Possibility of upgrading the plant.
- Plan to bring down Windscale plant. Greek, Dinah // Professional Engineering;02/24/99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the decommissioning of the Windscale nuclear power plant in Great Britain as of February 24, 1999. Background on the project; BNFL Magnox Generation's contract to complete the reactor dismantling; Project as an opportunity for British companies to learn lessons about nuclear power...
- ROCKY FLATS: CLOSING IN ON CLOSURE. Ackland, Len // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p52
Focuses on the closure of the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant in Colorado. Security measures at the site; Progress of the decommissioning work; Design of the facility; Concern of the United States Department of Energy.
- Contractors await power plant boom. Pearman, Ross // Contract Journal;4/6/2005, Vol. 427 Issue 6519, p2
Reports on the plan of civils contractors to bid for power plant decommissioning programme in Great Britain. Reasons of contractors for turning their attention to nuclear power station decommissioning; Possible construction projects provided by the program to contractors; Expected availability...
- Go to waste. // Engineer (00137758);2011 Supplement, p9
The article informs that a 109m dollars contract has been received by the ACTUS joint venture, from Magnox Ltd., for decommissioning work at the Trawsfynydd nuclear power station.
- Action stations. Wilks, Neil // Professional Engineering;07/19/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 14, p24
Reports that pragmatists in Great Britain believe that decisions on whether nuclear should be part of the future energy mix cannot be delayed much longer. Arguments for and against nuclear energy; Britain's difficulty in meeting carbon dioxide emission levels; Problems concerning the...
- Ward Valley debate rolls on. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;07/28/97, Vol. 239 Issue 4, p16
Reports on the debates over a low-level nuclear disposal site planned for California's eastern Mojave Desert. Hearings held on legislation that would transfer the federally owned site to the state; Environmental impact of the proposal.
- Leak sheds light on Yucca Mountain. Myers, Dennis // Las Vegas Business Press;12/10/2001, Vol. 18 Issue 50, p5
Comments on the plan of the U.S. government to bury nuclear waste in Yucca Mountain, Nevada. Question on the suitability of the mountain for the plan; Opposition of environmentalists to the plan; Failure of the government to ask local opinion on the issue.