UKAEA plans nuclear waste store project
- Kalkar nuclear plant will be dismantled. // Modern Power Systems;Oct93, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p7
Reports on the plans of Germany's Kalkar council to redesignate the site of the Kalkar fast breeder nuclear power plants as an agricultural area. Failure of plans to convert the site to either an interim storage facility for radioactive waste or a gas turbine power plant; Site owner SBK's need...
- World's oldest operating nuclear power station closes down. // Click Green Newsletter;3/2/2012, Issue 10, p4
The article provides information on the closure of the oldest operating nuclear power plant Oldbury, near Bristol, England.
- Radioactive water, water everywhere. Gilhooly, Rob // New Scientist;6/22/2013, Vol. 218 Issue 2922, p14
The author describes the cleanup at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant after the meltdown accident in March 2011. Particular focus is given to management of radioactive coolant water leakage by operator Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco), as well as groundwater flow into reactors....
- DISMANTLING A NUCLEAR REACTOR. Gray, Kevin; Design, Bryan Christie // Fast Company;Jun2011, Issue 156, p34
The article presents information on the dismantling of a nuclear power plant located in Zion, Illinois which was started up in 1973 and shut down in 1998, focusing on the procedures necessary for disposing of radioactive waste.
- Plan to bring down Windscale plant. Greek, Dinah // Professional Engineering;02/24/99, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p14
Reports on the decommissioning of the Windscale nuclear power plant in Great Britain as of February 24, 1999. Background on the project; BNFL Magnox Generation's contract to complete the reactor dismantling; Project as an opportunity for British companies to learn lessons about nuclear power...
- ROCKY FLATS: CLOSING IN ON CLOSURE. Ackland, Len // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 57 Issue 6, p52
Focuses on the closure of the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant in Colorado. Security measures at the site; Progress of the decommissioning work; Design of the facility; Concern of the United States Department of Energy.
- Wurgassen decommissioning. // Modern Power Systems;Nov95, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p7
Reports on the application of German utility firm PreussenElektra to the NorthshrineWestphalia ministry for a license to decommission the Wurgassen nuclear power plant. Possibility of upgrading the plant.
- Greens Help Shut US Nuke. // Earth Island Journal;Spring2000, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p20
Reports on the dismantling of the Humboldt Bay nuclear plant in Northern California. Savings from the decommissioning of the plant.
- the engineer in brief. // Engineer (00137758);10/3/2011, Vol. 296 Issue 7825, p9
The article offers news briefs related to engineering in Great Britain as of October 2011 such as the funding round led by Imperial Innovation Group, alongside NESTA Investments and Invesco Perpetual, for Plaxica's development of the biopolymer called polylactic acid and the 109 million U.S....