Support in place to promote well-being of children
- Alerta Sweetgrass asked: Are Aboriginal veterans getting a fair deal in compensation from the federal government? // Alberta Sweetgrass;Nov2002, Vol. 9 Issue 12, p3
Focuses on views of several people on whether Aboriginal veterans get a fair deal in compensation from the federal government of Canada. Reason for giving equal compensation to veterans like others; Problems faced by the veteran Aboriginal warriors regarding compensation.
- Victory for Powley, Mï¿½tis rights at Supreme Court. Barnsley, Paul // Alberta Sweetgrass;Oct2003, Vol. 10 Issue 11, p6
Reports that the Supreme Court of Canada confirmed that the Mï¿½tis of Canada are Aboriginal under the Constitution and have Aboriginal rights under section 35 on September 19, 2003.
- Report identifies challenges, opportunities to create an inclusive society. Willcott, Michelle // Alberta Sweetgrass;Sep2010, Vol. 17 Issue 10, p2
The article focuses on the report titled "Circle Alberta Report: Dialogues on Aboriginal Futures--Strengthening Relationships for Shared Prosperity," which identifies the challenges and the critical issues relating to the Aboriginal society and inclusion in Alberta.
- Providing services to aboriginal clients. Restoule, Brenda // Guidance & Counseling;Winter97, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p13
Examines the difference of aboriginal people in Canada from the majority culture and determines who is better suited in providing psychological services to aboriginal clients. Aboriginal social integration; Rules of behaviour of aborigines; Nature of psychological services acceptable to the...
- The origins of intercultural performance in the west. Fusco, Coco // Heresies;1993, Vol. 7 Issue 27, p21
Discusses the fascination of western people with aborigines. Aboriginal sampling since the time of Columbus; Experiences of the author in her performance as an aborigine in Madrid, Spain.
- Indigenous peoples: Pressing for greater rights. // United Nations Chronicle;Mar93, Vol. 30 Issue 1, p95
Focuses on 1993 as the International Year of the World's Indigenous People, and notes there is growing recognition of the need for international standards to safeguard the lifestyles and cultures of indigenous peoples. Earlier actions of the United Nations General Assembly; Rigoberta Menchu...
- Chapter One: First Nations of Canada. Badertscher, Eric // Canada's Heritage: First Nations of Canada;2009, p1
Provides a look at the "First Nations", or aboriginal peoples, of Canada. Groups included in the First Nations; Relations between aboriginal and white populations; Details on the Assembly of First Nations (AFN); Background on the Territory of Nunavut.
- Lock-up figures. // Youth Studies Australia;Dec1996, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p9
Reports that the incarceration rate of Aboriginal juveniles in New South Wales rose in 1995. Statistics.
- From paternalism to empowerment. // Canada & the World Backgrounder;Sep95, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p3
Comments on the plan of Ontario's government for aboriginal self-government. Signal of a fundamental shift in the government's attitude towards aboriginal peoples; Historical background; Recognition of the failures of the government's paternalistic approach.