Stores must gear up to singles explosion
- Big cities yield wealth of eligible men: `Ebony.' // Jet;2/27/89, Vol. 75 Issue 21, p26
Reports that black women can find men more easily in six cities, according to `Ebony' magazine. Places to meet men.
- Growth of single people surpassing other groups. // Jet;11/23/92, Vol. 83 Issue 5, p38
Reports that singles are the fastest growing segment of American society. How singles are determined by the Census Bureau; Percentage of singles in adult population today; Trends contributing to growth of singles; Singleness not a permanent lifestyle, according to experts.
- Have a good time without a date. Lanese, J.; Welch, R. // Single Parent;Jul/Aug87, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p38
In this two-by-two society, it is difficult for single people to engage in a social life without being `coupled.' Offers tips on enjoying life without searching for a date. Gives suggestions for activities including networking, volunteer work etc.
- They Didn't Go Two by Two. Hicks, T. // America;11/23/1991, Vol. 165 Issue 16, p388
Considers studies on older people who never married. Author's interviews of never-married people over age of 65; Influence of two unmarried people on his childhood; Singles showed fewer symptoms of psychological disturbance; Propensity for solitude; Strong, independent women; Advantages of never...
- The singles scene. // American Demographics;Jul92, Vol. 14 Issue 7, Desk Reference Series p18
Reports that nonfamilies are almost one-third of all households. This segment's growth due to more people living alone; Working-age singles cluster in big cities; Elderly singles a force in rural Midwest.
- Anaheim convention draws over 700. // Single Parent;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p1
Reports on the 30th annual PWP (Parents Without Partners) convention held in Anaheim, Calif., including the report on the annual meeting, individual, chapter and regional council awards, and a financial statement.
- `Why isn't a nice person like you married?' Bliss, E.; Long, J. // Single Parent;Jan/Feb90, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p32
Argues for the validity and respectability of single life. Responding to other people's expectations; Benefits of singlehood.
- Single blessedness. Fehren, H. // U.S. Catholic;Apr88, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p38
An article of opinion about the state of being single. Priesthood; Saints who were single; The lay single life; Cardinal Newman's quotations about working for God as a single person.
- What are single people called to do? Brady, Mary Clare // U.S. Catholic;Jul93, Vol. 58 Issue 7, p32
Looks into the meaning of singlehood and vocation. `Sister Act'; Goldberg's character Deloris; Vocation being a calling; Catholic Almanac of 1993; Actively choosing singlehood; Being solitary; Living in the here and now; Christian vocation.