- Zitan, the emperor's wood. Michael, George // Antiques & Collecting Magazine;Mar1994, Vol. 99 Issue 1, p28
Discusses zitan wood and its use in ancient Chinese royalty. Challenge of identifying the wood in most furniture and decorative objects which come from the Orient; References to zitan; Knowledge and admiration of zitan; Heartwood or center of the zitan tree.
- Hard choices in tropical woods. Payne, C. // Architectural Record;Dec1991, Vol. 179 Issue 12, p16
Discusses the shortage of tropical woods available to architects who don't want to contribute to forest destruction. Looks at the reasons for deforestation and the available alternatives. Sustainably managed wood; Cautions and concerns; Resources.
- Keeping a country woodlot. Matthews, R. // Country Living;Nov88, Vol. 11 Issue 11, p94
Recounts the pleasures of chopping wood and the enjoyment of the woodlot as a cozy place.
- Friendly fuel. Stevens, R. // Country Living;Oct90, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p45
Offers advice on how to have a romantic, fuel-efficient and environmentally-conscious wood fire. Choosing the right wood; Seasoning the wood; Safety precautions; Reducing harmful emissions.
- Southern softwoods. Godwin, D.J. // Old House Journal;Mar/Apr92, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p46
Describes the history and characteristics of the three softwoods from the forest of th deep South which were used to build many of America's homes from 1870-1915: Cedar, yellow pine, and baldcypress. All three woods had superior durability and fiber which made them excellent for building; The...
- Wood you be mine? // Ranger Rick;Feb95, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p11
Presents a photograph of sawed off ends of a stack of boards formed in the shape of a human face.
- The adjustment of growth, sapwood area, heartwood area, and sapwood saturated permeability of balsam fir after different intensities of pruning Margolis, Hank A.; Gagnon, Robert R.; Pineau, Marius Pineau; Pothier, David // Canadian Journal of Forest Research;Jun1988, Vol. 18 Issue 6, p723
No abstract available.
- Metal concentrations in wood of sugar maple infected with sapstreak disease Smith, K. T.; Houston, D. R. // Canadian Journal of Forest Research;Jan1994, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p185
No abstract available.
- Utilization of southern wood. // Forest Products Journal;Mar1998, Vol. 48 Issue 3, p5
Presents a chart showing the utilization of southern wood in the United States and elsewhere.
- No-bend wood splitting. // Country Journal;Nov86, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p72
Tips on how to split firewood fast and with a minimum of strain.