Kentucky Governor to Lawmakers: Find Cuts or Revenues
- Kansas Cuts $312 Million Shortfall, Considers '04 Tax Hike. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;2/18/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31574, p6
Reports that Kansas governor Kathleen Sebelius is expected to sign legislation which virtually eliminates multi-million dollars revenue shortfall for the fiscal year 2003. Possible increase in tax; Dependence on Kansas Department of Transportation and local government; Concerns about increasing...
- Missouri Lawmakers Warming to Rainy-Day, Tobacco Funds. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;4/29/2002, Vol. 340 Issue 31375, p3
Reports the budget deficit faced by the lawmakers in Missouri. Proposal of Governor Bob Holden on rainy-day fund and tobacco settlement funds; Amount of the deficit; Bond sales in the state.
- Ventura Wrestles With Minnesota Legislators in Budget Battle. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;8/13/2002, Vol. 341 Issue 31448, p3
Reports the budget deficits in Minnesota. Failure of the state to adopt a budget repair bill; Division between the Democrat-controlled Senate and a Republican-controlled House; Concerns of the lawmaker for reelection.
- California Legislators May Face a Larger-Than-Expected Shortfall. Williams, Rochelle // Bond Buyer;11/25/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31520, p4
Reports on the budget deficit problems faced by legislators in San Francisco, California. Requirement of bipartisan cooperation for solving the deficit problem; Enactment of five billion dollars of cuts; Decline in personal income tax receipts.
- Status quo triumphs again. Schnitzler, Peter // Indianapolis Business Journal;3/25/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p3A
Focuses on the failure of legislators to solve the budget crisis and restructure taxes in Indiana. Reaction of the business community; Debate concerning the budget deficit; Solutions proposed by politicians.
- Connecticut Lawmakers Continue To Hammer Out Gap-Closing Deal. Phillips, Ted // Bond Buyer;5/5/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33311, p3
The article reports on the efforts of Connecticut lawmakers to solve the 700 million dollar budget gap of the state for fiscal year 2011.
- Watch out for hidden tax increases. Stutts, Clint // Malakoff News (TX);2/ 4/2011, Vol. 102 Issue 5, p2A
The article offers the author's insights regarding the potential indication of various schemes that could increase the amount of tax paid for an activity without increasing the tax rates, following the challenge of budget deficits faced by the lawmakers in Texas.
- Suffolk County Legislature got it right. Kremer, Jerry // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);12/14/2001, Vol. 48 Issue 51, p47A
Comments on several issues related to legislature passed in Suffolk County, New York concerning taxation. Economic problems faced by Suffolk County related to budget deficits; Problems faced by legislators to employ the tax increase in the county.
- Kansas Lawmakers Coming Back to Tackle Growing Gap. Watts, Jim // Bond Buyer;4/21/2010, Vol. 372 Issue 33303, p20
The article reports that lawmakers will return to Topeka to tackle the rising budget shortfall in Kansas.