Maryland Maglev Train Backers Ponder Interstate Authority
- Minima of dissipated power in magnetic levitation. Clemente, R.A.; Tessarotto, M. // Journal of Applied Physics;1/1/1998, Vol. 83 Issue 1, p588
Analyzes a minima of dissipated power in magnetic levitation. Definition of an approximate model for calculating the average lifting force; Results of the findings.
- Simple theory for the Levitron. Jones, T.B.; Washizu, Masao // Journal of Applied Physics;7/15/1997, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p883
Presents a theory for the Levitron, a toy that offers a demonstration of levitation using permanent magnets. Details of the theory; Stability; Magnetic field of the base plate.
- 9700 Hutch suspension gives improved ride. // Fleet Owner;Oct97, Vol. 92 Issue 10, p34
Focuses on the features of the short rocker arm trailer suspension, Hutch 9700 Series, introduced by Hutchens Industries. Use of the series; Description of the series.
- Improved differential optical position detector for magnetic suspension systems. Murgatroyd, P. N.; Carmichael, A. T.; Thomas, S. J. P. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Aug1985, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p1666
A split-beam position detector for single-axis magnetic suspension systems has been modified by including a narrow-angle prism to produce symmetrical deflection of the two beams. The modified system is relatively insensitive to positioning of the components, and has a wider range of linear response.
- Preparation of filamentary MgB[sub 2] superconductors by suspension spinning method. Goto, T.; Katoh, H. // AIP Conference Proceedings;2002, Vol. 614 Issue 1, p803
This paper investigates suspension spinning of commercially available MgB[sub 2] powder. MgB[sub 2] powder (âˆ¼350 mesh) was suspended in mixed poly(vinyl alcohol) solution of dimethyl sulfoxide and hexamethylphosphoric triamide. The viscous suspension was extruded as a filament into a...
- Modeling superconductor degradation using magnetic levitation. Sriram, M.A.; Ponce, Laura; Murr, L.E. // Applied Physics Letters;3/18/1991, Vol. 58 Issue 11, p1208
Evaluates superconducting degradation by measuring the levitation heights of standard magnets over variously pressed and sintered YBCO pellets as a function of time. Dependence of saturation levitation on the green compaction pressure; Proposal that corrosion is due to open porosities which are...
- Levitation of a magnet over a flat type II superconductor. Hellman, F.; Gyorgy, E. M.; Johnson, D. W.; O’Bryan, H. M.; Sherwood, R. C. // Journal of Applied Physics;1/15/1988, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p447
Describes the levitation of a magnet over a Type II superconductor. Superconductors used in the study; Mathematical models of the magnetic sphere and superconducting plane; Discussion on the results of the study.
- Stability of an electrodynamic suspension. Filatov, Alexei V.; Maslen, Eric H.; Gillies, George T. // Journal of Applied Physics;9/15/2002, Vol. 92 Issue 6, p3345
Previously, the authors have described a method of dynamically stabilized noncontact electromagnetic suspension of rotating bodies. The method makes use of the dynamic interaction between stationary and rotating sets of conductors and permanent magnets. The validity of this method has been...
- Domain-orientation dependence of levitation force in seeded melt grown single-domain.... Donglu Shi; Qu, D. // Applied Physics Letters;6/30/1997, Vol. 70 Issue 26, p3606
Describes the domain-orientation dependence of levitation force for single-domain YBa[sub 2]Cu[sub 3]O[sub x]. Attainment of single-domain material from a seeded melt growth process; Applications of high-temperature superconductors; Effects of materials geometry and flux pinning strength on...