- Change must come at department stores. Tucker, Brian // Crain's Cleveland Business;9/30/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 39, p10
Comments on the need for innovation of department stores in the U.S. Relevance to the consumer goods market; Approach in business management; Marketing of product and service offerings.
- Say Goodbye to the Merchant Mystique. Cornwall, Deborah J. // Business Horizons;Sep/Oct84, Vol. 27 Issue 5, p78
Focuses on the impact of managerial perspectives of retailers on department store industry. Reexamination of traditional management models; Significance of return on investment (ROI) on retail industry; Correlation between controlling sales and controlling ROI.
- Ames files for Chapter 11. Engel, Clint // Furniture/Today;8/27/2001, Vol. 25 Issue 50, p2
Reports the application of Ames Department Stores Inc. for a Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in Rocky Hill, Connecticut. Closure of forty seven stores; Factors contributing to the business losses of the company; Mismanagement in the company.
- Retailers Primp Up. Murphy, Robert // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;10/4/2005, Vol. 190 Issue 72, p16
This article reports on the management strategies applied by department stores in Paris, France in 2005. Retailers, faced with a tepid economy and mounting fast-fashion competition, are using more personal and quirky flourishes to set themselves apart from the competition. Take Galeries...
- Ames may be a 'what went right' story. Lisanti, Tony // Discount Store News;11/23/98, Vol. 37 Issue 22, p11
Editorial. Comments on the successful management of Ames store chain. Strong management team; Cohesive marketing strategies; Vendor support; Merchandising philosophy.
- Saks testing new approaches. Corral, Cecile B. // Home Textiles Today;3/8/2004, Vol. 25 Issue 26, p2
Reports on the strategy used by Saks Department Store Group in improving the layout of shopping for consumers in Birmingham, Alabama. Plans of the company to open stores reflecting a prototype that includes new departments and products; Renovation and acquisition of sites to enhance sales;...
- Federated explores formats; big stores challenge vendors. Edelson, Sharon; Moin, David; D'Innocenzio, Anne // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;7/21/1998, Vol. 176 Issue 14, p1
Deals with the tests made by Federated Department Stores on its fashion design marketing targeting the youth customer. Factors that triggered the company to change its format; Remarks of the store designers; Comment from the Ralph Laurent company.
- How field of dreams became a nightmare. Cappo, Joe // Crain's Chicago Business;03/22/99, Vol. 22 Issue 12, p8
Addresses Dayton Hudson Corp. Chief Executive Officer Robert J. Ulrich regarding Chicago, Illinois residents' criticisms against the company since it acquired Marshall Field's in 1990. Management techniques; Downgrading of quality level of apparel at Field's; Replacement of Field's buyers with...
- Federated shifts duties of FACS management. // Home Textiles Today;7/29/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 46, p2
Reports the shift in the duties of management in the financial, administrative and credit services division of Federated Department Stores in the U.S.