The Value of a Norm: Open Membership and the Horizon Problem in Cooperatives
- Are Cooperatives Efficient When Membership Is Voluntary? Leathers, Howard D. // Journal of Agricultural & Resource Economics;2006, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p667
If profit-maximizing farmers are free to join or not to join a cooperative, it may appear reasonable to assume that a cooperative will exist only when it has cost advantages over non-cooperative marketing. This paper presents a model in which that result fails. Every individual farmer chooses...
- We are More Than a Magazine. Kubash, Tim; Cousineau, Ken // GreenMaster;Sep/Oct2012, Vol. 47 Issue 5, p8
The article offers the authors' insights on the "GreenMaster" magazine, which serves as the only communication tool between the Canadian Golf Superintendents Association (CGSA) and its members and other stakeholders. The authors say that they have reduced the size of the magazine and developed...
- Superior profitability through innovation. Wilkinson, Jeffrey // Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker;Feb2013, Issue 589, p76
The article discusses the key role played by packaging and marketing innovations in improving profitability in the winery business. It describes the crucial role that the Wine Communicators of Australia (WCA), an independent association of wine professionals, can play in providing support to...
- Ask the right questions. Baarda, James; Torgerson, Randall // Rural Cooperatives;May/Jun2002, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p20
Focuses on the involvement of members in the formation of cooperatives. Management of the business by members; Interest in cooperative decisions; Analysis on the form of cooperative organization.
- CWT members support program changes. // Rural Cooperatives;Jul/Aug2013, Vol. 80 Issue 4, p43
The article reports on the endorsement of the members of Cooperatives Working Together (CWT) of a larger investment in the farmer-funded, self-help program with a vote that raises the membership requirement from two cents to four cents per hundredweight effective July 1, 2013.
- Treasurer's Report. Parker, Marilyn B. // NACTA Journal;Sep2013, Vol. 57 Issue 3, p85
The article focuses on the profit and loss statement created by QuickBooks for the North American College and Teachers Agriculture(NACTA).
- Introducing the Commonwealth Braille and Talking Book Cooperative. Kearney, Greg // Braille Monitor;Apr2012, Vol. 55 Issue 4, p332
The article focuses on the Commonwealth Braille and Talking Book Cooperative (CBTBC) in the U.S. It outlines the mission of the organization, which is designed to promote collaboration and sharing of the resources among Baille and Talking Book libraries. It notes the members of the organization,...
- PCCA announces further cash distribution of $17.4 million to its members. // High Plains Journal;10/19/2015, Vol. 133 Issue 42, p6B
The article reports on the additional cash distribution of 17.4 million dollars announced by Plains Cotton Cooperative Association (PCCA) for its members.
- A Two-Way Street. Wadsworth, James // Rural Cooperatives;Jul/Aug2014, Vol. 81 Issue 4, p4
The article emphasizes on the need of members of a cooperative to know and fulfil their responsibilities and periodically review them so that a co-op could deliver quality goods and services to its members. Members should understand the purpose of the cooperative, know its legal foundations,...