Michigan Lawmakers Debating State's Role in Broadband
- LIEBERMAN ROLLS OUT BROADBAND BILL. // Broadcasting & Cable;6/10/2002, Vol. 132 Issue 24, p22
Reports the introduction of a legislation by Senator Joe Lieberman in response to need for comprehensive federal strategy to encourage broadband deployment in the U.S.
- SENATE BATTLE AWAITS TAUZIN-DINGELL. Bischoff, Glenn // Telephony;3/4/2002, Vol. 242 Issue 9, p8
Focuses on the submission of the pro-Bell company Tauzin-Dingell bill in the U.S. Number of votes in favor of the bill; Controversies on broadband deregulation; Suggestion to pass the proposed bill through the Commerce Committee.
- State Senate committee to take up 3 broadband bills. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;12/3/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 50, p2
Reports the start of the state Senate committee hearing on legislative bills significant to broadband communication systems in Michigan.
- Private Users Ponder Modified Auctions. Carlson, Caron // Wireless Week;10/25/99, Vol. 5 Issue 43, p15
Reports that private wireless users have remained oppose to bidding for wide-area spectrum licenses in the United States. Comments from Mark Crosby, the president of the Industrial Telecommunications Association; Information on the spectrum auction; Details on the bill sponsored by Senator John...
- BATTLE Royale. Ellis, Leslie // CED;Apr2006, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p24
The article focuses on the network neutrality-diversity debate in the telecommunication industry in the U.S. The House of Energy and Commerce Committee is considering a bill that will allow telephone companies national video franchises. The network neutrality issue has arisen because of the...
- FCC'S DSL RULING, ENSIGN BILL CHURN TILECOM REFORM STURM. Wilson, Carol // Telephony;8/15/2005, Vol. 246 Issue 15, p16
Reports on introduction of Broadband Investment and Consumer Choice Act by Senator John Ensign in Nevada. Influence of the legislation on the elimination of local franchises for video services in the process; Prevention of regulation of rates, terms or quality of any voluntary resale of...
- A challenging equation. Jackson, Donny // Urgent Communications Exclusive Insight;7/1/2011, p6
The article discusses the advantage of partnership among various stakeholders on the proposed legislation that would create a national broadband network for public safety in the U.S. The author believes that a structured partnership for the long-term evolution (LTE) network will provide economic...
- Competing bills compared. // America's Network;06/01/2001, Vol. 105 Issue 9, p21
Compares Internet Freedom and Broadband Deployment Act of 2001 and Broadband Competition and Incentives Act of 2001, legislative bills on broadband communication system in the United States. Sponsors; Features.
- Miss in Congress may not doom muni nets. Hardy, Stephen // Lightwave;Dec2006, Vol. 23 Issue 12, p35
The article reports on the unapproved legislation for municipal broadband networks in the U.S. It was miscarried by the U.S. Senate due to net neutrality concerns. However, sources from the pro-municipal side stated that the group would focus their reform efforts at the state level in 2007....