Local Governments Struggle to Balance Budgets With Services
- Guidance to council on cuts. Wiggins, Kate // Third Sector;9/6/2011, Issue 674, p4
The article reports on the guidance by the Communities and Local Government department concerning budget cuts to voluntary and community groups in Great Britain.
- District auditor finds further fault at Hackney. // Public Finance;01/07/2000, p15
Reports on the potential budget deficit facing the London, England borough of Hackney. Findings of the report by district auditor Les Kidner; Factors blamed for the overspending; Includes weak management arrangement; Poor budgetary controls.
- Report: Local governments' fiscal health at risk. Gallagher, Patrick // Westchester County Business Journal;8/20/2012, Vol. 48 Issue 34, p5
The article reports on the general fund balance deficit of various local governments in New York.
- Plan to Shore Up State Budget Has Cities Seeing Red. Jones, Rene'e Beasley // San Diego Business Journal;6/23/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 25, p10
Reports on the effort of the legislators to overcome the budget deficit in San Diego, California. Estimated budget shortfall; Plan to reduce budget appropriations for local jurisdictions; Proposal to form a public safety finance agency to levy a local income tax.
- Gen Y to pay for Canberra's budget failures. Greber, Jacob // Australian Financial Review (0404-2018);7/2/2015, p7
The article presents results of a research that investigates the implications of the failure of the local government to fix its budget failures on the generation Y population in Canberra, Australian Capital Terroritory (ACT).
- Government finances swing to strong surplus. // Infomat: A Weekly Review;6/22/2001, p4
Reports on the government surplus of Canada in year 2000-2001. Amount of surplus recorded by the provincial and territorial governments in Canada; Deficit rate posted by local governments for the fiscal year ended December 2000; Rate of increase in consolidated government expenditures.
- Fiscal and spending behavior of local governments: Identification of price effects when prices are not observed. Aaberge, Rolf; Langorgen, Audun // Public Choice;Oct2003, Vol. 117 Issue 1/2, p125
Analyzes local public fiscal and spending behavior on local governments. Local government accounts for Norwegian municipalities; Presence of budget deficits among local government; Identification of expenditures on public services.
- 2005 Newsmakers of the year: Kwame Kilpatrick. Ankeny, Robert // Crain's Detroit Business;1/2/2006, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p6
This article presents information about Kwame Kilpatrick, mayor of City of Detroit, Michigan. During the election, pollsters and pundits were predicting that the flamboyant young politician would become Detroit's first one-term mayor in more than 30 years and the first incumbent to be defeated...
- HAS THE POLL TAX KILLED BRITISH LOCAL GOVERNMENT? Davies, Howard // Contemporary Review;Oct91, Vol. 259 Issue 1509, p179
This article reports that the experience of introducing and abolishing the community charge has entered a question mark over the future of local government in Great Britain. The consequences of Poll Tax for local government were severe; the consequences of the cure for Poll Tax could be fatal....