SEC Probing Kmart Accounting; Could Cast Cloud Over Bankruptcy
- Is your checking account too costly? Try this alternative. Napach, Bernice // Medical Economics;11/24/97, Vol. 74 Issue 23, p23
Discusses the results of a survey which was conducted by the IBC Financial Data, in Ashland, Massachusetts, and revealed that approximately 80 percent of tax-able and tax-exempt funds offer check-writing privileges, while highlighting the availability of bank checking accounts. What most funds...
- HSA's cover critical illness. Wojcik, Joanne // Business Insurance;5/20/2013, Vol. 47 Issue 10, p0028
The article provides information on Health Savings Account (HSA), a tax-exempt trust or custodial account that members of a high-deductible health plan can set up to pay medical expenses within the deductible in the U.S.
- Manager statistics at a glance. // Pensions & Investments;5/29/2006, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p11
The article presents statistics on assets in the U.S., profiled by the periodical, "Pensions & Investments," on a variety of topics including total worldwide assets, worldwide institutional assets, tax-exempt assets, institutional tax-exempt assets, and institutional tax-exempt assets managed...
- Taking better account. // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;4/5/1995, Vol. 169 Issue 65, p15
Reports on Kmart Corp.'s implementation of a new inventory accounting system that will provide more accurate information for quarterly earnings reports.
- Players: Heavier Retail Action Can Offset Strict View of FASB Rule. Walker, Susanne // Bond Buyer;3/17/2005, Vol. 351 Issue 32092, p6
Reports on the optimism of market participants that strong retail participation in the tax-exempt auction rate market may cushion that segment of the auction-rate universe from a drop in corporate demand in the U.S. Mandate of the Financial Accounting Standards Board's Rule 95 that corporate...
- Correction for Marketability Risk Applied to Municipal Bond Yields. Kadiyala, Padma // Journal of Applied Finance;Spring/Summer2007, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p96
There is a problem with the conventional expression for the tax rate at which investors are indifferent between a tax-exempt municipal bond and a taxable corporate bond. It suggests an implausibly low rate. Application of an adjustment for the illiquidity of the muni market produces implied tax...
- Fourth District Banks. // Economic Trends (07482922);Apr2005, p16
The article presents graphical analysis of Fourth District commercial banks in the U.S. as of April 2005. Fourth District banks' net interest margin at the end of 2004 dropped to a record low of 3.18 percent, which was higher than the 3.05 percent U.S. average. However, strong growth in...
- Mail Call. // Small Business Tax Strategies;Jul2010, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p8
The article presents questions and answers related to tax strategies for small business including the restriction on 401(K) to Individual Retirement Accounts (IRA) rollovers, the employment tax exemption, and the deadline for first minimum distribution.
- Special Savings Accounts Deposit a More Secure Future for People with Disabilities. Ehlert, Mary Anne // Exceptional Parent;Sep2008, Vol. 38 Issue 9, p88
The article focuses on future's financial security in children with disabilities with an introduction of a special savings account. The U.S. Congress is currently working on three savings account bills which will eventually create a tax-exempt way of securing the special needs of disabled...