Miami Oversight Board Packs It In, Citing Improved Finances
- Gloom over Miami. Cohen, Adam // Time;12/16/1996, Vol. 148 Issue 27, p37
Focuses on difficulties being experienced by the city of Miami, Florida as of December 1996. Its tradition of unruly official behavior; The prospect of bankruptcy; Taxes in Miami; Poor municipal recordkeeping; A Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) operation, known as Operation Greenpalm,...
- Power skyline. Harper, P. // Art in America;Sep88, Vol. 76 Issue 9, p54
Explores rapidly changing Miami. Expansion; Building; New image; Interests of developers.
- Budgetary vices in Miami run counter to city trends. Nielsen, Kirk; Thurman, Skip // Christian Science Monitor;12/6/96, Vol. 89 Issue 9, p3
Reports that while most American cities ended their fiscal year with a surplus, Miami in Florida, recorded a $68 million deficit. Allegations of corruption in Miami; Lowering of the city's bond rating by Moody's Investors Service; Unique nature of Miami's decline; Difficulty of finding a city...
- Jobs will follow better schools, say Miami-Dade leaders. White, Kerry A. // Education Week;11/26/97, Vol. 17 Issue 14, p7
Reports that a coalition of business, education and political leaders in Miami-Dade County, Florida has identified local public schools as the region's biggest barrier to economic development. Suggestion for the creation of a technical-preparation high schools; Link of the region's demographic...
- Miami projects budget surplus as dissolution vote closes in. McEntee, Christopher // Bond Buyer;08/28/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30219, p1
Focuses on the announcement of government officials of the City of Miami, Florida that they expect to have a $10 million surplus for 1997 as dissolution vote closes in. Expected release of a referendum; Effect of the surplus on voters in the city.
- Miami's overseers like recovery plan; new attitude seen. Molis, Jim // Bond Buyer;08/26/98, Vol. 325 Issue 30465, p1
Reports on the approval of a five-year fiscal recovery plan for Miami, Florida. Transfer of surplus revenues from the Off-Street Parking Authority to Miami's general fund; Plan dependent on tax and fee increases; Favorable reaction by overseers to the plan.
- Miami plans $330 million World Trade Center. Collins, John // Caribbean Business;12/28/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 52, p30
Reports that in Florida, the city of Miami plans to construct a $330 million World Trade Center which would encourage trading with Puerto Rico. Date of construction; Location of the center; Benefits of the center; Advantages to Puerto Rico; Latin America ripe for investors; Statements from Port...
- The new South Beach? Soter, Tom // SHOOT;06/25/99, Vol. 40 Issue 25, p31
Reports on the designation of an area in the southern part of Miami, Florida, as an empowerment zone. Impact of the designation of economic conditions in the area; Economic development assistance from federal and local governments; Implications for film and television production companies.
- Governmental crisis in Miami revisited: Public administrators lead the road to recovery. Dluhy, Milan J. // PA Times;Aug97, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p1
Looks at the recovery of Miami, Florida from a financial crisis in 1996. Pressure from Miami supporters for a reform and change in city government; Chronology of events illustrating the milestones of Miami's financial collapse and recovery; Demographics of the city; Major accomplishments of the...