Beginning with the end in mind: how one unit survived a strike
- Majority of Palomar Medical Center Nurses Approve Strike Vote. // San Diego Business Journal;5/27/2002, Vol. 23 Issue 21, p3
Reports the approval of a majority of nurses at Palomar Medical Center to stage a one-day strike in Escondido, California. Disclosure on the schedule for the strike; Factors mediating the planned strike; Allowance given by the hospital to prevent the measure.
- Irish nurses to strike. Payne, Doug // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);10/16/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7216, p1024
Reveals that Irish hospitals are reducing services and cancelling operations in preparation for a nurses strike in Northern Ireland. Reactions on the strike by the Irish government; Basic pay for nurses in Ireland.
- Letter from the Council of Presidents. Burger, Deborah; Higgins, Karen // National Nurse;Mar2011, Vol. 107 Issue 2, p2
An introduction is presented in which the authors discuss various topics published within the issue including the protests made by registered nurses in Madison, Wisconsin against Governor Scott Walker's attempt to strip off collective bargaining rights, the strike conducted by nurses of the...
- HOW TO RISE ABOVE THE CROSS-FIRE OF A UNION/HOSPITAL BATTLE. Lee, Anthony // RN;Nov82, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p32K
Deals with the conflicting loyalties of nurse managers in the event of a labor strife between hospital staff and management. Significance of collective bargaining to the nursing profession; Assessment of the need for a different labor law in nursing; Role of nursing managers in settling the...
- Update From KNA Headquarters. Keenan, Maureen // Kentucky Nurse;Jan-Mar2008, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p1
The article comments on the ongoing registered nurses' strike at Appalachian Regional Healthcare (ARH) in Eastern Kentucky. It argues in favor of nurses on the picket line, saying they deserve recognition for taking a stand, at great personal sacrifice, to try to put an end to the systematic...
- Nurses' strike fuels scrutiny of Canadian health care. Walker, Ruth // Christian Science Monitor;7/12/99, Vol. 91 Issue 157, p7
Focuses on the nurses strike in Canada in the summer of 1999. Reasons behind the strike; Budget cut-backs within the health-care system; Comments of Michelle Boisclair of the Quebec Federation of Nurses; Control of Canada's budget deficits; Comments of Rosalee Longmore, president of the...
- N.Y. nursing home workers go on strike. Bryant-Friedland, Bruce // Modern Healthcare;7/01/96, Vol. 26 Issue 27, p8
Reports on the strike conducted by the 6,000 hospital and nursing workers at 14 New York City health facilities last June 1996 after six months of stalled wage negotiations. Striking workers represented by the Local 144 of the Service Employees International Union; Expiration of the union's...
- Workers protest L.A. County hospital cuts. Shinkman, Ron // Modern Healthcare;9/23/96, Vol. 26 Issue 39, p30
Reports on the protest action of hospital workers in Los Angeles County, California, after the county's Department of Health Services began to reduce the staff by 1,266, in September 1996. Number of jobs lost by September 12, 1996; Comments from Steve Weingarten, spokesman for the Service...
- Hospitals struck. // Crain's New York Business;7/01/96, Vol. 12 Issue 27, p54
Reports that 13 hospitals and nursing homes in New York City went on strike to resist the demands for concessions.