Two Lives on the Line: A Case Study in Obstetric Critical Care
- Acute Aortic Dissection in Pregnancy with the Marfan Syndrome. Si Wook Kim; Dohun Kim; Jong-Myeon Hong // Korean Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery;Jun2014, Vol. 47 Issue 3, p291
Acute aortic dissection (AAD) during pregnancy can be fatal to both the pregnant mother and the baby, particularly in patients with the Marfan syndrome. We report a case of the modified Bentall procedure in surgery for AAD in a 31-year-old pregnant woman at 24 weeks of gestation with the Marfan...
- Circumferential aortic dissection. Bouzas-Mosquera, A.; Solla-Buceta, M.; Fojón-Polanco, S. // Emergency Medicine Journal;Feb2008, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p75
The article presents a case study of a 30-year-old woman with clinical features of Marfan's disease referred to the emergency department with a transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography showing an aneurysmatic ascending aorta with a DeBakey Type 1 aortic dissection.
- Ascending aortic curvature as an independent risk factor for type A dissection, and ascending aortic aneurysm formation: a mathematical model. Poullis, Michael P.; Warwick, Richard; Oo, Aung; Poole, Robert J. // European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery;Jun2008, Vol. 33 Issue 6, p995
Abstract: Objective: To develop a mathematical model to demonstrate that ascending aortic curvature is an independent risk factor for type A dissections, in addition to hypertension, bicuspid aortic valve, aneurysm of ascending aorta, and intrinsic aortic tissue abnormalities, like Marfan''s...
- A very unusual headache. O'Kane, DECLAN // Clinical Medicine;Jun2014, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p323
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "A very unusual headache" in the February 2014 issue.
- Tratamiento quirÃºrgico de disecciÃ³n de aorta torÃ¡cica ascendente en Sindrome de MarfÃ¡n. Efraín, Montesinos Mosqueira; C., Vasquez Kobashigawa Julio; Luis, Rojas Peña; Julio, Peralta Rodriguez // Revista Medica Herediana;abr-jun2007, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p110
We present 5 consecutive patients with Marfan Syndrome and dissection of the ascending aorta that were surgically treated with aortic root replacement (modified Bentall operation). All patients had full recovery and returned to normal activities upon follow up.
- Comparison of aortic dissection in Chinese patients with and without Marfan syndrome. Gao Linggen; Zhang Lin; Fan Xiaohan; Wu Haiying; Zhou Xianliang; Hui Rutai // Postgraduate Medical Journal;May2011, Vol. 87 Issue 1027, p325
BACKGROUND: Aortic dissection is a life-threatening cardiovascular disease with high mortality. Little is known about comparisons of the clinical characteristics or the factors that influence the long-term prognosis of Chinese patients with aortic dissection with and without Marfan syndrome...
- Acute aortic dissection in pregnancy management with the fetus remaining in situ. Ferreira, D. C.; Abreu, I. M.; Honório, J.; Sampaio, P. N.; Binello, F.; Bastos, D.; Pierre, J.; Carvalho, I. H.; Alves, U.; Bosiger, A.; Pereira Filho, P. M. S.; Silva, D. H.; Neto, O. Souza // Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery;2013, Vol. 8 Issue Suppl 1, p1
An abstract of the article "Acute aortic dissection in pregnancy management with the fetus remaining in situ" by D. C. Ferreira, I. M. Abreu, P. N. Sampaio and colleagues is presented.
- Medical treatment of Marfan syndrome: a time for change. Williams, A.; Davies, S.; Stuart, A. G.; Wilson, A. G.; Fraser, A. G. // Heart;Apr2008, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p414
It is accepted practice to prescribe Î²-blockers in order to retard aortic dilatation and prevent aortic dissection and rupture in patients with Marfan syndrome. A critical review of the published pharmacological studies shows this practice to be based on limited evidence. The data from small...
- Possible extracardiac predictors of aortic dissection in Marfan syndrome. Ágg, Bence; Benke, Kálmán; Szilveszter, Bálint; Pólos, Miklós; Daróczi, László; Odler, Balázs; Nagy, Zsolt; Tarr, Ferenc; Merkely, Béla; Szabolcs, Zoltán // BMC Cardiovascular Disorders;2014, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p1
Background According to previous studies, aortic diameter alone seems to be insufficient to predict the event of aortic dissection in Marfan syndrome (MFS). Determining the optimal schedule for preventive aortic root replacement (ARR) aortic growth rate is of importance, as well as family...