Bigleaf mahogany classified as an endangered species
- CONSERVATION: Fourth time lucky for endangered mahogany. // Garden;Jan2003, Vol. 128 Issue 1, p9
Endangered big-leaf mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) has won international protection following its addition to Appendix II of the Convention in the Trade of Endangered Species (CITES). All future exports of mahogany will be strictly monitored and penalties can be imposed for illegal harvesting....
- Lauan: The Philippine mahogany that is no more. Kaiser, Jo-Ann // Wood & Wood Products;Jun94, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p31
Provides information on lauan or Philippine mahogany. Nonavailability of true lauan from the Philippines due to clearcutting with no regard to conservation or forestry management; Reasons for Philippine mahogany being a misnomer; Categories of lauan; Similarities between species.
- The fascinating tale of mahogany. Kaiser, Jo-Ann // Wood & Wood Products;May98, Vol. 103 Issue 6, p29
Provides information on the mahogany wood. Varieties of the wood; Its properties and industrial use; Historical background on the introduction of mahogany to the furniture industry. INSET: Untitled (information on mahogany wood).
- Rain forest be damned. // AutoWeek;12/18/95, Vol. 45 Issue 51, p6
Features the wooden automobile built by Jerry Nickel from two Cadillac automobile engines and mahogany strips. Background on Nickel's construction of the automobile; Features of the automobile; Performance.
- Chop down a tree to save the forest. Holmes, Bob // New Scientist;02/22/97, Vol. 153 Issue 2070, p10
Reports that standard mahogany logging practices in Bolivia are more beneficial than sustainable forestry procedures. Minimal damage to the ecosystem caused by mahogany logging; Need to clear more land to insure growth of mahogany trees as prescribed by the practice of regeneration of trees...
- Get on the train. // Billboard;11/09/96, Vol. 108 Issue 45, p23
Presents a photograph of Warner Bros. jazz vocalist Kevin Mahogany standing by a train. His plans to host a number of industry guests during a train ride from San Diego to San Francisco, California in November 1996; Emphasis tracks featured on his self-titled album.
- Genetic diversity in Mesoamerican populations of mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla), assessed using RAPDs. Gillies; Navarro; Lowe; Newton; Hernández; Wilson; Cornelius // Heredity;Dec99, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p722
Swietenia macrophylla King, a timber species native to tropical America, is threatened by selective logging and deforestation. To quantify genetic diversity within the species and monitor the impact of selective logging, populations were sampled across Mesoamerica, from Mexico to Panama, and...
- Mahogany is murder. // Earth Island Journal;Spring93, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p13
Reports on the issuance of a preliminary injunction by a federal judge in Brazil forcing four national logging companies to close access roads in the state of Para. Government efforts to prevent illegal logging of mahogany in the Brazilian Amazon; Response to a petition by the Nucleus of...
- On the chopping block. Ivanko, John D. // E: The Environmental Magazine;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p22
Focuses on the exploitation of mahogany in the Toledo District, region known as the Columbia River Forest Reserve. Grant of the logging concession in 1995; Claims of Deborah Schaaf, a staff attorney with the Indian law Resource Center, on the rights of the Indians; Effects of the destruction of...