California Tries to Ease Students' Aching Backs
- Davis Signs Law on Parent Involvement; Vetoes Pesticide Bill. Sandham, Jessica L. // Education Week;10/20/99, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p18
Reports on a program signed into law by Governor Gray Davis for California schools. Provision under the Healthy Schools Act vetoed by the governor; Explanation of Davis on his action; Accusation of supporters of the healthy schools measure against Davis; Other bills approved by Davis.
- Proceeding as Planned. Sack, Joetta L. // Education Week;12/11/2002, Vol. 22 Issue 15, p13
Offers a look at educational law and legislation in California. Intent for the state to provide voluntary public preschool programs; Claim that the bills would make better use of state education expenditures; Report that California Governor Gray Davis called for budget cuts in education.
- Blood Money. Lovell, Jonathan // California English;Spring2000, Vol. 5 Issue 3, p26
The author offers his thoughts on state-wide standards on education in California. He said that it is a good pubic policy to create standards for what students should and be able to know, but not at the expense of the needs of students in his classroom. He also expressed his dismay on Governor...
- Legislative Update. // Education Week;03/08/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 26, p26
Presents a summary of United States governors' education proposals for fiscal 2001. Governor Gray Davis' spending plan; Thomas R. Carper's educator-accountability proposal; Thomas J. Vilsack's budget proposal.
- Recalled Calif. Gov. Vetoes Bill Giving Illegal-Immigrant Students Free Ride. Fisher, Marla Jo // Community College Week;11/10/2003, Vol. 16 Issue 7, p2
Reports on the decision of recalled California Governor Gray Davis to veto a bill that would have given free tuition to some illegal-immigrant students and made reform of a dual-enrollment program into law in California. Provisions of the immigrant bill; Concerns regarding the decision of...
- Davis Vows to Balance California Budget Without 'Gimmicks'. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;1/10/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31550, p5
Reports on California Governor Gray Davis's plans to introduce structural changes to eliminate budget deficits in the state as of January 2003. Davis's comments regarding the nature of the budget for the fiscal year 2003-2004; Revenue shortfall in the state projected by the U.S....
- Gov. Davis Eyes Tobacco For Budget. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;1/11/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31302, p1
Reports on the proposal of California Governor Gray Davis to securitize state's share of the national tobacco settlement for balancing the budget of the fiscal year 2002 without increase in taxes. Budget shortfall in the year; Proposal to reduce expenditure; Finance of the general funds from...
- Gov. Davis' $10 Billion Reduction Plan Gets Some Support. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;12/10/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31529, p7
Reports that California Governor Gray Davis' proposals to cut $10 billion in spending from the state's budget has drawn mild support from local government groups, lawmakers and rating analysts. Date scheduled for presenting the budget plan; Amount by which education funding will be reduced;...
- We're Killing the Goose That Lays Our Golden Eggs. Owen, Ted // San Diego Business Journal;6/9/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 23, p34
Comments on the inability of California governor Gray Davis to solve the problems faced by the state. Electricity crisis; Gas shortage; Fiscal crisis.