Fischler may relent on cod ban
- Fish news. // Caterer & Hotelkeeper;11/7/2002, Vol. 191 Issue 4247, p70
Presents various issues related to the fishing industry as of November 7, 2002. Ban on cod fishing in the North Sea; Information on the Rye Bay Catch brand; Findings by the Pesticides Residue Committe on the presence of residues of pesticides in fresh fish and shellfish.
- END OF THE LINE. Carroll, Chris // National Geographic;Apr2007, Vol. 211 Issue 4, p90
This article reports on the decimation of Newfoundland's codfish stocks, which had been the area's prime resource for centuries. Canada has been forced to place moratoriums on cod fishing twice since 1997 and now restrict hauls to a bare minimum forcing hundreds of fisherman out of business....
- FISHERIES WATCH. // Salt Water Sportsman;Feb2006, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p32
The article presents news briefs about fisheries in the U.S. as of January 2006, including the opening of Massachusetts Bay to cod fishing, reduction in the quota for summer flounder, and proposals to reform fisheries laws in Texas.
- Cod's last gasp. MacKenzie, Debora // New Scientist;01/27/2001, Vol. 169 Issue 2275, p16
Discusses the idea that the resources of cod are being depleted to dangerous levels. Popularity of cod as a dish in England; Effect of fishing on the species; Difficulty of determining the size of fish stocks; Idea that only a total ban on fishing will allow the cod to return to safe fishing...
- Ode to a Codfish. Dybas, Cheryl Lyn // BioScience;Mar2006, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p184
This article looks at the history of cod fishing in the Atlantic waters. Cod fish was once a dominant fish in northwestern Atlantic waters, but cod numbers on the Scotian Shelf have dropped since the 1850s. A team of researchers created an estimate of cod levels in the 1800s using old schooner...
- SOCIAL CHANGE, ECOLOGY AND CLIMATE IN THE 20TH-CENTURY GREENLAND. Hamilton, Lawrence; Lyster, Per // Climatic Change;Oct2000, Vol. 47 Issue 1/2, p193
Examines the social consequences of environmental change in Greenland during the 20th century. Description of the society and environment in pre-modern Greenland; Rise and fall of cod fishing in the country; Overview of Greenland's shrimp fishery.
- The Spanish cod fishing industry: Radical production changes without significant changes in the innovation system. Gonz�lez-L�pez, Manuel // Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management & Innovation;2012, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p35
This paper studies the changes which have occurred in the Spanish cod fishing industry in the last few years. We also aim to understand the dynamics of industrial change and its relation to institutions, understood here as both formal and informal rules and conventions. Our results suggest that...
- Greenpeace calls for North Sea closure. Amodeo, Christian // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);Oct2004, Vol. 76 Issue 10, p15
Emphasizes the need for the North and Baltic seas to be closed to fishing, dredging and mineral exploration. Reason behind the proposed closure by the Greenpeace group; Demand for an all-out ban on cod fishing in the seas.
- Comparative evaluation of a mixed-fisheries effort-management system based on the Faroe Islands example. Baudron, Alan; Ulrich, Clara; Nielsen, J. Rasmus; Boje, Jesper // ICES Journal of Marine Science / Journal du Conseil;Jul2010, Vol. 67 Issue 5, p1036
Baudron, A., Ulrich, C., Nielsen, J. R., and Boje, J. 2010. Comparative evaluation of a mixed-fisheries effort-management system based on the Faroe Islands example. � ICES Journal of Marine Science, 67: 1036�1050. Total allowable catch (TAC) management has in many fisheries, especially mixed...