TEXAS: Brown, Again
- Houston's First Black Mayor, Lee Brown, Wins A Third Term. // Jet;12/17/2001, Vol. 101 Issue 1, p4
Reports that Lee Brown was re-elected as mayor of Houston, Texas, and how he defeated Hispanic candidate Orlando Sanchez.
- Houston's Lee P. Brown. Chappell, Kevin; Cobb, Vandell // Ebony;Jan1999, Vol. 54 Issue 3, p96
Profiles Houston, Texas Mayor Lee P. Brown. Personal and political background of Brown; Some of his accomplishments; Comments from Brown.
- Houston mayoral race. Gizzi, John // Human Events;10/31/97, Vol. 53 Issue 41, p16
Focuses on the competition in the 1997 mayoral election in Houston, Texas between Robert Mosbacher and Lee Brown. Observers' perception that Mosbacher has the advantage; Meetings with state politicians.
- Houston Mayor Puts Budget on Hold for Further Revision. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;05/05/2000, Vol. 332 Issue 30885, p3
Reports on the agreement of Houston, Texas Mayor Lee Brown to postpone the final vote for the local 2001 budget. Outline of revisions planned for the budget; Proposals to hire an outside consultant to determine a more conservative budget estimate.
- Lee Brown elected Houston's first black mayor. // Jet;12/22/97, Vol. 93 Issue 5, p4
Reports that Lee P. Brown became the first black mayor of Houston, Texas in December 1997. Brown's work as the former drug policy chief for President Bill Clinton; The importance of the election.
- Brown elected first Black mayor of Houston. Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;12/11/97, Vol. 88 Issue 50, p4
Features Lee Patrick Brown, the first African-American to be elected as mayor in Houston, Texas. Comments of former mayor Rudy Giuliani on Brown; Other comments on Brown's victory.
- Houston NAACP Gets Out the Vote in Mayoral Race. Petrie, Phil W. // New Crisis (15591603);Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 109 Issue 1, p61
Presents information on the victory of African American mayor Lee P. Brown during the December 1, 2001 mayoral election in Houston, Texas. Career background; Number of votes received by Brown; Contribution of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People to the victory of Brown.
- Houston Lawmakers Offer Mayor a Property Tax Compromise. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;10/06/2000, Vol. 334 Issue 30991, p4
Reports on a property tax deal proposed by several City Council members in Houston, Texas to resolve their dispute with Mayor Lee Brown. Budget-balancing features of the compromise deal; Effects of the deal on Houston's bond debt and reserves.
- Houston mayoral race as face of future politics. Axtman, Kris // Christian Science Monitor;11/29/2001, Vol. 94 Issue 5, p1
Reports on the mayoral race in Houston, Texas, and how Houston became the first major United States city to pit an African-American against a Hispanic candidate. Efforts of incumbent mayor Lee Brown to appeal to Hispanic and white voters; Challenge to Brown by candidate Orlando Sanchez; View...