W. Va. Lawmakers Clash Over Tobacco Plan
- Mississippi Legislature Files $742M of New Debt Bills. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;1/16/2007, Vol. 359 Issue 32547, p6
The article reports that lawmakers have filed about 30 bond bills authorizing more than $742.5 million of new debt as the Mississippi Legislature enters its third week in session. Treasurer Tate Reeves said the state's debt picture has significantly improved and that he would continue working to...
- Bevy of Bond Bills Passed. Saskal, Rich // Bond Buyer;5/12/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32380, p33
The article reports on several bond-related bills approved by the Alaska Legislature. One bill would increase the bonding authority of the Alaska Municipal Bond Bank. Another bill authorizes the Knik Arm Bridge and Toll Authority to issue toll revenue bonds and borrow money through the federal...
- Utah Legislators Close Up Shop Without Highway Bond Issue. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/3/2006, Vol. 355 Issue 32331, p29
The article reports that Utah legislators have adjourned their annual regular legislative session without approving a highway bond issue. However, legislators have approved a bill that authorizes the Utah Department of Transportation to enter into public-private partnerships. The legislatures...
- Mississippi Lawmakers Wrangle Over Debt During Special Session. Sigo, Shelly // Bond Buyer;11/16/2004, Vol. 350 Issue 32011, p7
This article reports that the Mississippi Legislature is back in special session this week after the Republican-controlled Senate tried to end the session last Friday because the Democrat-controlled House failed to act on a bond bill. The Senate on November 8, 2004, the first day of the special...
- Tobacco Bond Debate. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;3/29/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31851, p1
Reports debate on tobacco settlement revenue bonds in Colorado. Approval of SB 203 by Senate Finance Committee, introduced by Senator Norma Anderson; Proponents of the bill; Testimonies on how bonds proceeds could be used to enhance the general fund.
- Tobacco Deal Gets Indiana Panel's Nod. Carvlin, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/23/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31806, p1
Looks into the legislation passed by Indiana House Ways and Means Committee for tobacco bond deal. Benefits of the deal for market participants; Purpose of the proceeds derived from the deal; Yield rates of the bonds in the market.
- Colorado Budget Committee Won't Push for Tobacco Debt. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;1/12/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31798, p1
Reports that Colorado Legislature's Joint Budget Committee will not recommend that the state follow the tobacco securitization. Basis of the committee's decision; Refusal to support tobacco debt; Issue behind the tobacco bonds.
- Arkansas Lawmakers Offer Tobacco Bond Bill at Special Session. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;4/6/2006, Vol. 356 Issue 32355, p4
The article reports on the agreement of Arkansas lawmakers to a legislation adding 132.5 million dollars to the state's public education budget. The legislators also received committee approval for tobacco bond issuance. Representative Daryl Pace, authored House Bill 1021 and has gained 86 House...
- Michigan Gov., Lawmakers OK $400M of Tobacco Bonds. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;6/14/2007, Vol. 360 Issue 32650, p4
The article reports on the move of Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm to sign a legislation that authorizes the state to issue $400 million of tobacco bonds as part of a larger legislative agreement aimed at wiping out an $800 million deficit in the current budget. The HB 4850 legislation...