- Plant a seed; help it grow. Berg, Linnea // HR Magazine;Sep98, Vol. 43 Issue 10, p114
Presents a guide on how employers in the United States can assist and train former welfare recipients. Advice on interviewing former welfare recipients; Importance of a well-structured orientation program; Importance of providing good supervision.
- Paychecks or welfare checks can AFDC recipients support themselves? Burtless, Gary // Brookings Review;Fall94, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p34
Focuses on the welfare reform proposals in the United States Congress which aim to move recipients of the Aid to Families with Dependent Children off the welfare rolls and into the workforce. Earning trends among AFDC recipients; Availability of jobs for AFDC recipients; Policy responses.
- Welfare moms earn checks by tutoring at-risk youths. Tyson, Ann Scott // Christian Science Monitor;1/27/97, Vol. 89 Issue 42, p1
Reports that United States welfare mothers are offering their services as tutors in a bid to earn extra money. Where this program is being practiced; Why this program was implemented; Other jobs being accepted by welfare recipients in Chicago; Name of the program in Chicago; Comments from...
- Welfare reform: Making it work. DeMott, John S. // Nation's Business;Jun95, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p18
Discusses strategies on how to move people from welfare into productive individuals. Work attitude development; Involvement of the business sector; Cost of hiring reductions; Organization of welfare programs that require recipients to look for jobs; Establishment of an intermediary between...
- Will workfare work? Crispell, Diane // American Demographics;Nov97, Vol. 19 Issue 11, p35
Evaluates the efforts of American public officials to find jobs for welfare recipients. Disadvantages of finding jobs on public assistance; Competition for low-skilled jobs.
- A hidden source of talent. Greenberg, Herbert M. // HR Magazine;Mar97, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p88
Discusses about the effects of welfare reform on the job market. Matching career opportunities with abilities of welfare recipients; Two fundamental issues to be addressed for welfare people to find gainful employment; Projects in the late 60's and early 70's that helped welfare recipients find...
- States' emphasis on jobs over welfare appears to be working. Leonard, Bill // HR Magazine;Sep97, Vol. 42 Issue 9, p10
Present the highlights of `Incentives and Supports for the Employment of Welfare,' a report from the National Governors Association of United States. Why welfare programs seem to be working; How to get more information regarding the report.
- Etc... Kilborn, Robert; Carden, Lance // Christian Science Monitor;12/7/99, Vol. 92 Issue 9, p20
Relates news for December 1999 including the awarding of money by United States President Bill Clinton to states for successful welfare recipient job placement programs and other news.
- An employment approach to urban poverty alleviation: Employment patterns of AFDC recipients--The... White, Sammis B. // Urban Studies (Routledge);Dec96, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p1924
Explores several questions related to the work and earnings experience of 40,000 aid recipients in an urban county. Percentage of welfare recipients with work experience; Range of earnings from work; Perspective variation on policy changes implications; Achievement of economic independence.