Jobless rate hits 24-year low, but job cuts may be on the rise
- Winter of discontent. Boroughs, Don L.; Guttman, Monika // U.S. News & World Report;1/22/96, Vol. 120 Issue 3, p47
Discusses how the changing economy has contributed to wage inequality and a decrease in decent paying jobs. Shift in necessary skills and importance of education; Ownership of wealth; Increase in gap between rich and poor; Fear that economic inequality will divide the nation; Factors...
- Non-Farm Payrolls Gain 57,000 in Sept. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;10/6/2003, Vol. 346 Issue 31734, p2
Reports on the economic condition in the U.S. as of Monday 2003. Unemployment rate in the country; Average rate of wages in the country; Performance of the professional and business services in the country.
- Nonfarm payrolls up; jobless rate, too. Koning, Rachel // Bond Buyer;05/10/99, Vol. 328 Issue 30637, p2
Cites the increase in non-farm payrolls by 234,000 and in the unemployment rate to 4.3% as of April 1999, according to the United States Department of Labor.
- LIKE A SORE THUMB. Barron, Jacob // Business Credit;Jul/Aug2008, Vol. 110 Issue 7, p12
The article discusses the plight of the U.S. market that is experiencing negative growth along with economic recession. It states that the market trend remains obscure and remains tough with the global credit crunch and persistent inflationary pressures. It adds that major U.S. companies, banks,...
- As a Fired Man Thinks. Taylor, A.J. // New Republic;9/7/21, Vol. 28 Issue 353, p46
Presents a first-person narrative of a worker at a United State Navy Yard during the day that it was announced that he has been laid off. Drastic reduction in the wage allowance of the shop; Effect of the end of the World War; Need for products for peace instead of war; Search for a county where...
- U.S. jobless rate hits 5.7%, a four-year high. Hoxter, Curtis J. // Caribbean Business;8/14/2008, Vol. 36 Issue 32, p14
The article reports on the increase of jobless rate in the U.S. Employers cut back jobs for a seventh-straight month causing the decline of economy with 5.7% unemployment rate. Economists predicted that there will be a weaker performance in the second half of 2008 as long as the tax-rebate...
- Adding Up the Losses. Williams, Tom // Quality;Apr2006, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p6
The article comments on key issues pertaining to job losses and layoffs at three automobile companies in the United States in 2006, citing their implications on the national economy. Apparently, Ford Motor Co., General Motors Corp. and DaimlerChrysler have announced layoffs at their facilities...
- UNITED STATES ECONOMY. // South Dakota Business Review;Dec2002, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p2
Reports on the economic condition of the U.S. as of December 2002. Percentage growth of personal income; Earnings in agricultural services, mining, transportation and public utilities; Average unemployment rate; Average sale of light-vehicles.
- Jobless Rate Stayed Low, Wages Rose in December . // American Banker;1/10/2000, Vol. 165 Issue 6, p17
Reports on statistics of a low unemployment rate in the United States. Amount of people employed during December, 1999 and average increase in hourly wages; Evidence that job growth is slowing.