Members of DVD forum forge separate paths toward DVD patent licensing
- The people's republic of video CD. Parker, Dana J. // EMedia Professional;Mar1998, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p54
Focuses on the Video CD market in China. Country's distinction of being the fastest-growing market for multimedia; Role in setting the standards for the renaissance of the disc-based video format; Two factions courting the Chinese government.
- Little disc that could. Daly, Steve; Willcox, James // Entertainment Weekly;2/7/97, Issue 365, p72
Questions whether the public will accept the arrival of the digital videodisc (DVD) on the market in 1997. The presentation of high technology during inaugural week at the Mall in Washington, D.C.; Acknowledgement that the DVD has critics; The unquestionable advantages and capacity of the DVD. ...
- DVD developments give format boost at VSDA. Goldstein, Seth; Fitzpatrick, Eileen // Billboard;07/19/97, Vol. 109 Issue 29, p1
Discusses the attempts to gain exposure for the digital video disc (DVD) format in July 1997. The formation of a DVD trade consortium; Warner Home Video's announcement that it will it expand its seven-market test of DVD to a national level on August 26, 1997; The highlights of the July Video...
- Overcoming '93's bad press and slow start, the market finished solid and is well set up for '94. McGowan, Chris // Billboard;2/26/94, Vol. 106 Issue 9, Laserdisc p63
Looks at the sales of laserdiscs in 1993. Emergence as the premier home video system for viewing movies; Estimated number of laserdic players sold; Laser software worth from retail vendors; Performance of laserdisc distribution companies; Prospects for growth in the market in 1994.
- Laserdiscs sales on 1st quarter upswing. McGowan, Chris // Billboard;6/18/94, Vol. 106 Issue 25, p63
Reports on developments in the videodisc industry as of June 18, 1994. Includes sales of laserdisc software and players in the first quarter; Video titles released by Pioneer; Films to be released by MCA Video; Warner's launching of `Hans Christian Andersen's Thumbelina.'
- VSDA briefs. // Hollywood Reporter;5/25/95, Vol. 337 Issue 21, p16
Reports on developments concerning the United States videodisc industry as of May 25, 1995. Includes special editions being developed by Pioneer and Image Entertainment; Columbia TriStar Home Video's acquisition of North American distribution rights to John Sayles' `The Secret of Roan Inish,'...
- Video news. Lachenbruch, David // Electronics Now;Dec95, Vol. 66 Issue 12, p6
Presents information on the video industry. Development of format for digital videodisc (DVD); Efforts to avoid format war; Details on Digital Micromirror Device (DMD); Developed by Texas Instruments; Availability of digital camcorders using standard DV (digital video) format.
- `Bad Boys' bow; awaiting DVD's still-unknown picture quality. McGowan, Chris // Billboard;10/7/95, Vol. 107 Issue 40, p98
Reports on developments in the United States laser disc and video industry as of October 7, 1995. Includes Columbia Tristar's release of Will Smith and Martin Lawrence's disc `Bad Boys'; Agreements between the alliance of Sony and Philips and the alliance of Toshiba and Time Warner regarding a...
- Divx presses on -- even if open format is system of choice. // Discount Store News;9/7/98, Vol. 37 Issue 17, p32
Focuses on the market for Divx digital video disc (DVD) products in the United States. Availability of Divx players and software; Retail stores carrying the products; Contribution of Divx in the growth of the DVD market; Support of motion picture studios on the Divx technology.