Gas Tax to Floor
- Gasoline tax. Dwyer, Ann // Crain's Chicago Business;02/24/97, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p43
Reports that lawmakers are considering hearings to increase Illinois' 19-cent-a-gallon gasoline tax, to replenish the highway construction fund. Use of the fund.
- Gasoline tax as a corrective tax: Estimates for the United States, 1970-1991. Haughton, Jonathan; Sarkar, Soumodip // Energy Journal;1996, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p103
Describes models on the effect of a higher gasoline tax on gasoline consumption, miles driven and road fatalities in the United States. Data considerations; Estimation; Regression results for model of miles drive; Fuel inefficiency; Effect of change in tax on gasoline.
- Candidates energize talk of gas tax. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;10/17/94, Vol. 10 Issue 42, p1
Discusses the possibilities of increased gasoline taxes in Michigan. Sides taken by the states gubernatorial candidates; Other issues involved.
- Gasoline tax. Rice, Cynthia // Single Parent;May/Jun93, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p9
Discusses the inevitable arrival of a gasoline tax, and suggests steps to reduce or even nullify its impact. How to scrap faulty beliefs and change bad driving habits; Advice from the Division of Energy in the State of Virginia; Don't pump the gas pedal; Don't rev the motor after the engine...
- Patterson hits the roads. Lane, Amy // Crain's Detroit Business;02/24/97, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p1
Reports on the plans of Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson to propose a 6.5-cent-a-gallon increase in the state's gasoline tax. Aims of officials to repair the state's roads; Plans of the Michigan Road Builders Association to obtain a gas-tax-increase.
- The baddest tax. Smith, Geoffrey N. // FW;9/1/93, Vol. 162 Issue 17, p12
Opinion. Points out the triviality of the government's tax hike for gasoline. Compromise budget package; Fierce competition forcing service stations to absorb rising taxes; Hike favored by the House of Representatives; `Fairness card' played by the opponents of the tax; Deficit reduction.
- Three cheers for the gasoline tax. Finn, Daniel // Christian Century;07/31/96, Vol. 113 Issue 23, p752
No abstract available.
- We need a major gas tax hike. // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;2/17/97, Vol. 26 Issue 34, p18
Editorial. Comments that increasing gasoline tax in the United States will still give drivers the benefit of private travel without paying the full cost. Cost of pollution to health and civilization.
- Pay for gas...plus...plus...plus... Morgan, Tom // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;8/7/95, Vol. 9 Issue 16, p5
Focuses on government's taxation of gas companies as a strategy to extract money from the people. Effect of itemizing expenses; Gas tax an excuse to sneak in unnecessary tax; Need for a receipt for every purchase of goods.