Following Minnesota Vote, Veto Of Deficit-Fix Plan Still Stands
- The Item Veto and Expenditure Restraint. Nice, David C. // Journal of Politics;May88, Vol. 50 Issue 2, p487
The presidential item veto has been proposed as a solution to the national government's persistent budget deficits. Part of the case for the item veto typically includes reference to its record at the state level. However, systematic analysis of the relationship between state item veto powers...
- 2 'suggestions' on federal spending. Daugaard, Gov. Dennis // Dakota Farmer;Sep2011, p20
The author discusses the ways to reduce federal spending which include a line-item veto of appropriations and a "one issue per bill" rule which restricts deal with multiple subjects. INSET: Key Points.
- Facing Structural Deficit, Wisconsin Governor Slashes Budget. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;9/4/2001, Vol. 337 Issue 31216, p48
No abstract available.
- Rhode Island Lawmakers Override Veto of Budget. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;8/3/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31939, p4
Reports on the decision of the Rhode Island legislature to override the governor's veto of budget for the 2005 fiscal year. Allocation of funds for the capital projects and bond referendum; Construction of a biotechnology center; Amount of the state's budget deficit.
- Message to the Congress transmitting line item vetoes... Clinton, Bill // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;10/13/97, Vol. 33 Issue 41, p1503
Presents the message of the United States President Bill Clinton to the Congress transmitting Line Item Vetoes of the Military Construction Appropriations Act, 1998 on October 6, 1997. Reasons why he cancelled the dollar amounts of discretionary budget authority.
- Bid to Curb Cuts. Newman, Emily // Bond Buyer;3/22/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31846, p31
Reports that the Maryland House voted to reduce the amount of spending cuts the Board of Public Works can implement to ten percent of the overall budget. Decision by Governor Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. to reduce the state's budget to help cover a shortfall; Veto power of the governor.
- Pataki Moves To Cut $1.6B In Borrowing. Cataldo, Adam L. // Bond Buyer;8/23/2004, Vol. 349 Issue 31953, p1
Reports on the decision of New York Governor George Pataki to veto the $1.6 billion in borrowing and $235 million in spending that the state legislature has added or altered from his proposed fiscal 2005 budget. Calculation of the expenditures incurred in a year; Statement of the governor...
- TRB FROM WASHINGTON. Kinsley, Michael // New Republic;11/20/89, Vol. 201 Issue 21, p4
Focuses on the claim of U.S. President George Bush regarding his power to veto individual items of in appropriation bills. Comments on the success of the Republicans in assigning the blame for the budget deficit to the Democrats; Discussion of the claim made by the Republicans regarding Bush's...
- Veto Keeps Impasse Going. Ward, Andrew // Bond Buyer;1/9/2009, Vol. 367 Issue 33038, p9
The article reports on the veto made by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger to the Democratic plan to cut $18.1 billion from the two-year $41.6 billion budget deficit of the state. Moreover, it also indicates that the Democratic plan has no Republican votes when submitted to the...