Tribal Bond Issuance Jumps 470%
- Letters Sent to Treasury on Tribal Bonds, Record Retention. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;11/14/2006, Vol. 358 Issue 32508, p4
The article focuses on the letter regarding Indian tribal bonds addressing myriad legal deficiencies and fundamental fairness issues, which sent to U.S. Treasury Department. The letter expresses arguments of Colorado River Indian Tribes that the fiscal integrity of tribal governments would be...
- Bill Seeks Private-Activity Bonds for Tribes. Duff, Susanna // Bond Buyer;3/31/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31804, p4
Reports on the introduction of the bill by Republican Dave Camp to allow Indian tribal governments of the U.S. to issue private activity bonds. Expansion of the tax law by Camp's bill; Permission of tribal governments to use tax exempt financing; Possibility for the constitution of an essential...
- IRS Hears Requests on Tribal Financing, Records. McConnell, Alison L. // Bond Buyer;6/9/2005, Vol. 352 Issue 32150, p5
The article reports that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service should streamline the types of records retained by tax-exempt debt issuers and clarify what constitutes an essential government function for the purpose of Indian tribal government bond issuance, an advisory committee told IRS...
- Tribal warfare. Oleck, Joan // Restaurant Business;6/10/93, Vol. 92 Issue 9, p56
Focuses on the Native Americans' desire to build more casinos and the state government's efforts to stop it. Quashing of a bill allowing the building of casinos in Hartford and Bridgeport, Connecticut; Approval of a constitutional amendment banning all gaming in Wisconsin; Legislation banning...
- Tribal leaders. // Native American Connections;1996/97, p34
Presents a list of Indian tribal leaders in the United States as of the year 1996. Location; Name of tribes; Name of leaders; Contact information.
- The politics of Aboriginality. Hall, Tony // Canadian Dimension;Jan/Feb93, Vol. 27 Issue 1, p6
Discusses the issues of Aboriginal politics. The referendum on the Charlottetown accord and the Assembly of First Nations (AFN); Distance between AFN's constituents and its leadership; The Prairie Treaty Nations Alliance (PTNA); Aboriginal university students; Canada's constitutional crisis and...
- Native Americans wield new political clout. Van Slambrouck, Paul // Christian Science Monitor;10/27/99, Vol. 91 Issue 232, p3
Takes a look at the increased political activity of Native Americans in the United States.
- All this time, and this is the answer? // Windspeaker;Dec2002, Vol. 20 Issue 8, p4
Editorial. Criticizes the decision of the British Columbian Assembly of First Nations to hold a special chiefs' assembly in November 2002. Futility of the resolution passed at the assembly; Money spent on organization of the assembly; Decision of the mainstream press to stay away from the...
- Priest supports tribal protest. // National Catholic Reporter;9/8/95, Vol. 31 Issue 39, p6
Reports on Capuchin priest Father John Hascall support of protests by members of the Keeweenaw Bay Indians in Michigan against the tribal president Fred Dakota's actions concerning elections held in December 1994.