Bipartisan Deficit Plan Set to Pass Minnesota Legislature
- Connecticut Will Close Budget Gap, Avoid Risk of Downgrade. Piazza, Johanna // Bond Buyer;2/28/2003, Vol. 343 Issue 31583, p4
Reports on the plans of governor of Connecticut John Rowland to plug the state's $650 million budget deficit for fiscal year 2003. Possible impact of not reducing the budget deficit on the state's economy; Measures taken to reduce the budget deficit; Credit ratings of the state by credit rating...
- State Budget Shortfalls and Arkansas' Strategies. Huckabee, Mike // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Summer2002, Vol. 75 Issue 3, p32
Discusses Arkansas strategy for addressing state budget shortfalls. Use of trust funds and national tobacco settlement money as budget balancers; Decline in corporate income tax collections; History of opposing tax increases.
- Tom Ammiano and Mark Leno host budget meetings. Bajko, Matthew S. // Bay Area Reporter;5/2/2002, Vol. 32 Issue 18, p13
Reports on the holding of town hall meetings in San Francisco, California to talk about the state's budget deficit.
- South Carolina Begins Special Session To Close $348 Million Budget Deficit. Roh, Jane // Bond Buyer;12/2/2002, Vol. 342 Issue 31523, p40
Discusses the budget deficit of South Carolina for the fiscal year 2003. Provisions of the plan of Democratic Governor Jim Hodges regarding budget cuts; Composition of the budget and control board called by Hudges for a budget session; Discontentment of political leaders over Hodges' late...
- Revenues Up, But States Still Face $86B Deficit for FY2012: Report. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;4/20/2011, Vol. 376 Issue 33503, p4
The article presents the statements of the National Conference of State Legislatures concerning the 86 billion-dollar budget deficit encountered by several states in the U.S. despite the improvement of revenues.
- State budget shortfall of $6.2 million on ag's mind. Mohr, Paula // Farmer;Feb2011, Vol. 129 Issue 2, p10
The article reports that balancing state budget is on the minds of farm organizations, lawmakers and citizens of Minnesota as they face a 6.2 billion dollars budget deficit.
- Compromise Offered in California. Finestone, Deborah // Bond Buyer;6/18/2003, Vol. 344 Issue 31659, p1
Two moderate legislators in the United States have proposed a compromise plan that seeks to break the partisan stalemate over how to resolve a 38 billion dollar shortfall in California's budget as of June 2003. The plan includes about 5.4 billion dollars in spending cuts in fiscal 2004, as well...
- It's only money. // Crain's Cleveland Business;7/7/2003, Vol. 24 Issue 27, p10
Ohio Governor Bob Taft's budget director, Tom Johnson, revealed that the state ended its June 30 fiscal year with an unexpected budget surplus of nearly $181 million. For months, state legislators and members of the Taft administration had wrestled with how to end the budget year without a...
- Legislators' plan would raise school taxes. // Inside Tucson Business;6/1/2009, Vol. 18 Issue 53, p5
The article reports on the impact of the plan of the legislators to increase state budget on school taxes in Tucson, Arizona. It is noted that legislators are planning to generate the $300 million state budget deficit from K-12 school districts' unspent money. It reveals that 85 percent of the...