- A Slow Fading to Red Ink Blurs The Outlook for Movie Theater Chains. Shearer, Brent // Mergers & Acquisitions: The Dealermaker's Journal;Nov2000, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p21
Presents the outlook for movie theater chains in the Unites States as of November 2000. Accounts of theater operators filing for bankruptcy; Impact of the existence of megaplexes on the industry; Estimated industry losses 1999; Projections for merger and acquisition activities.
- Dark Projections: Carmike Files Chapter 11. Cecil, Mark // Mergers & Acquisitions Report;08/14/2000, Vol. 13 Issue 33, p1
Focuses on the Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection filing of movie theater chain Carmike Cinemas Inc. Factor that drives Carmike to file Chapter 11; Investments of the company; Reason for filing Chapter 11; Background of Carmike Cinemas.
- Suppliers wait in movie line. McCormick, Brian // Crain's Chicago Business;10/09/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 42, p4
Reports on the state of the motion picture theaters industry in Chicago, Illinois as of October 9, 2000 . Movie theater operators filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection; Other sectors of the industry experiencing financial difficulties; Impact of the multiplex theater building boom on the...
- Exhibs feel reel pain of plex overexpansion. Goldsmith, Jill; DiOrio, Carl; Hayes, Dade // Variety;08/14/2000, Vol. 379 Issue 12, p7
Reports on the financial problems experienced by exhibitors and movie theaters in the United States as of August 14, 2000. Bankruptcy of Carmike Cinemas; Information on the stocks of exhibitors; Expectations on the movie theater business.
- WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? Surowiecki, James // New Yorker;01/15/2001, Vol. 76 Issue 42, p38
Focuses on financial risks faced by movie theaters in the United States. Details on the filing of bankruptcy by theater chains Carmike, United Artists and General Cinemas; Factors contributing to the decline of the movie industry; Disadvantage of uniform price on movies.
- Retailers give old theaters 2 big thumbs up. Luxenberg, Stan // Crain's New York Business;10/8/2001, Vol. 17 Issue 41, p16
Reports the conversion of theater facilities into drugstores in New York, New York. Application of Chapter 11 bankruptcy by the moviehouses operators; Advantages of theater spaces; Assessment of costly renovations.
- Exhibs prevail despite soccer, soaking & sparse blockbusters. Kingsley, Simon // Variety;2/3/2003, Vol. 389 Issue 11, pB7
Reports on developments in cinemas in Germany as of February 2003. Business of Cinestar in 2002; Events that contributed to the industry; Bankruptcy of UFA in October 2002.
- GCC mulls bankruptcy filing. DiOrio, Carl // Variety;09/25/2000, Vol. 380 Issue 6, p30
Reports on the plans of GC Cos., a movie exhibitor in the United States, to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization. Number of movie screens operated by GC Cos.; Causes of GC Cos.' financial difficulties.
- EXHIBITS FISHIN' FOR INTERMISSION. Goldsmith, Jill // Variety;08/28/2000, Vol. 380 Issue 2, p9
Focuses on the increasing number of motion picture theaters filing for bankruptcy in 2000. Details on the business operations of Carmike Cinemas; Benefits of filing bankruptcy protection under Chapter 11; Impact of the building programs implemented by exhibitors.