Retailers brace for '02 home stretch
- Making room for Uncle Sam. Swain, Peter G. // Business Quarterly;Autumn94, Vol. 59 Issue 1, p46
Focuses on the impact of the entry of Wal-Mart into Canada's retail trade. Financial figures on Wal-Mart; Vulnerability of the discount store sector; Wal-Mart method; Sam Walton's rules for doing business; Special challenges for Wal-Mart; Increase in pressure on manufacturers; Change in...
- Wal-Mart boosts global commitment; Intl. division pulls in top new execs. Troy, Mike // Discount Store News;5/11/98, Vol. 37 Issue 9, p3
Reports on additional executive appointments by Wal-Mart Stores Inc. to improve its global operations. Appointment of Carlos Criado-Perez as senior vice president and as replacement for John Lupo; Election of Roland Hernandez to the board of directors; Lupo's achievements for the firm.
- Wal-Mart's Market Entry into Germany from an Intercultural Perspective. Berggoetz, Reinhart; Laue, Martin // European Retail Digest;Jun2002, Issue 34, p6
Deals with the entry of Wal-Mart Inc. into the German retail market at the end of 1997. Financial significance; Information on the retailer's corporate culture; Background on Wal-Mart's founder, Sam Walton.
- Wal-Mart maps plans for holders. Owens, Jennifer // WWD: Women's Wear Daily;6/8/1998, Vol. 175 Issue 108, p5
Provides information on the overseas expansion plans of Wal-Mart Stores. Sales of Wal-Mart for the first quarter of 1998; Discussion on the domestic and international expansion of the company; Details on the plans of the company for 1999.
- Wal-Mart to finish export center despite peso woes. Ochs, Mark // Inside Tucson Business;1/30/95, Vol. 4 Issue 44, p28
Reports that Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is completing the Tucson, Arizona-area export distribution center despite the recent devaluation of the peso. Center to serve existing Wal-Mart stores in Mexico; Wal-Mart's cancellation of plans to develop new Sam's Clubs and Supercenters in Mexico.
- Responding to Increased Environmental Hostility: A Study of the Competitive Behavior of Small Retailers. McGee, Jeffrey E.; Rubach, Michael J. // Journal of Applied Business Research;Winter96/97, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p83
Offers information on a study which examined how small retailers responded to the increased environmental hostility created by the arrival of Wal-Mart. Theoretical background; Methodology; Results and discussion.
- Impact of Wal-Mart Stores on Iowa communities: 1983-93. Stone, Kenneth E. // Economic Development Review;Spring95, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p60
Reports the results of a 1993 study that examined the impacts of Wal-Mart stores and other mass merchandisers in Iowa. Sales changes; Saturation of discount stores; Loss of sales in small towns and resultant loss of businesses; Changes in the buying habits of consumers; Food store changes in sales.
- Not in the Same 'Big Box.' // Christian Science Monitor;10/6/99, Vol. 91 Issue 218, p8
Editorial. Focuses on the impact of the opening of Wal-Mart stores in Europe.
- Can Wal-Mart Become the First Trillion Dollar Company? Hisey, Pete // Retail Merchandiser;May2003, Vol. 43 Issue 5, p20
Focuses on the growth of U.S. retail chain Wal-Mart. Measures implemented by Wal-Mart to improve its sales and operations; Influence of the retailer on the software industry; Factors behind the success of Wal-Mart.
- One of Wal-Mart's fastest-growing markets. Ryan, Frances // Caribbean Business;2/9/1995, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p16
Focuses on Wal-Mart's plans for its operation in Puerto Rico in 1995. Annual corporate meeting planned; Stores to be opened in 1995; Hiring of local employees for the stores; Appointment of Sonia Hernandez as the apparel buyer to strengthen it apparel division; Technological investment planed.