Analysts Surprised by Orange County, Calif., Property Tax Ruling
- Lynch Case Judge Rules Alabama Property Tax System is Not Unconstitutional. // Alabama Forests;Fall2011, Vol. 56 Issue 1, p27
The article reports on U.S. District Judge Lynwood Smith's ruling against plaintiffs who seek to have the property tax of Alabama ruled unconstitutional due to their claim of racial discrimination.
- Keweenaw Bay Indian Community vs. Robert Naftaly. // Native American Law Digest;Jul2005, Vol. 15 Issue 7, p5
This article focuses on the judgment in the case of Keweenaw Bay Indian Community vs. Robert Naftaly. The U.S. District Court in Michigan has held that land held in fee simple by the firm Keweenaw Bay Indian Community (KBIC) or its members is not subject to Michigan property tax. The court...
- POSSESSORY INTERESTS IN PUBLICLY OWNED PROPERTY: IMPROPERLY ASSESSED. Ricks, R. Bruce // National Tax Journal;Sep67, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p347
This article discusses the implications of the judgment made by the California Supreme Court on a case about the assessment methodology for ad valorem tax imposed on real property. In the 1932 Blinn case, the court held that in appraising leasehold interests, the goal was to determine the excess...
- Court rules against Provena Medical. Dunn, Jamey // Illinois Issues;May2010, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p10
The article reports on the decision of the Illinois Supreme Court on the case against Provena Covenant Medical Center in Champaign County. It states that the court ruled that Provena is not qualified for a local property tax exemption it applied for in 2002 based on the hospital's status as a...
- ALABAMA'S ORIGINAL SIN: PROPERTY TAXES, RACISM, AND CONSTITUTIONAL REFORM IN ALABAMA. Guyse, Zachary L. // Alabama Law Review;2013, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p519
The article analyzes the property tax structure in Alabama and explains the problems raised by Alabama's tax structure on public school funding. It discusses constitutional reforms in Alabama and describes the 1901 Alabama Constitutional Convention in this context. It highlights the court cases...
- Senate approves tax/mandate relief bill. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;7/10/95 - 7/17/95, Vol. 6 Issue 31, p31
Reports that the New York State Senate has approved a bill adding six towns in Orange County to the list of municipalities which may levy a property tax against the state for the Palisades Parklands.
- Ark. hospital loses property-tax case. Moore, J. Duncan // Modern Healthcare;12/22/97-12/29/97, Vol. 27 Issue 51, p4
Reports on a ruling of the Arkansas Supreme Court on hospital property taxes, that a not-for-profit hospital must pay taxes on county property it leases on behalf of doctors. Reference to the ruling against Crittenden Hospital Association; Other information on hospital property taxes.
- WA: Members Oppose Local Parking Tax. // GPP eNews;4/8/2011, p4
The article reports that members of the Washington State Government Relations Committee opposed a bill to allow local governments to add a parking tax to the local property tax bill.
- Lawmakers weigh plans to ditch property taxes. Harp, Lonnie // Education Week;3/2/94, Vol. 13 Issue 23, p1
Reports on lawmakers' plan to eliminate property taxes as the chief source of local funding. Michigan lawmakers' abolition of local taxes; Reason behind proposed abolition of property taxes; Public's resentment toward property taxes; States that have launched their own property-tax movements.
- Simply Speaking Ongoing debate. Simmons, Jimmie // Ellis County Press;12/15/2011, Vol. 20 Issue 36, p3
The author discusses the 5.12% county property tax increase in Ellis County, Texas.