Who's Afraid of Lead-Free Rework?
- Evaluation tools help you design reliable surface-mount attachments. Leonetti, Douglas J. // EDN;05/22/97, Vol. 42 Issue 11, p149
Describes various electronic circuit design evaluation techniques that will help electronic engineers to meet the solder-attachment reliability. Finite-stress analysis; Lead-compliance investigation; Design-for-reliability calculations.
- Solder Shorts on TMV PoP. HUNT, CHRIS // Printed Circuit Design & Fab: Circuits Assembly;Mar2013, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p40
The article reports on the package warpage as a cause of solder shorts on bottomside package-on-packages due to finer-pitch terminations and devices warping during reflow.
- CSP and Flip Chip Assembly Using Tacky Flux. Nikeschina, Marina; Emmen, Hans // Circuits Assembly;Oct2002, Vol. 13 Issue 10, p40
Investigates the relationship between placement accuracy and formation of solder joints. Effects of component pitch and board layout on the placement accuracy of chip-scale packages; Methods used for high-volume electronics circuits manufacturing; Placement limitations for copper-defined...
- Solder bonds directly to optical fiber. Wallace, John // Laser Focus World;May2002, Vol. 38 Issue 5, p38
Discusses the use of solder to bond electronic components and optical fibers. Properties of solder; Advantages of using solder; Details of how the solder works.
- Plug Those Vias! HUNT, CHRIS // Printed Circuit Design & Fab: Circuits Assembly;May2016, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p73
The article discusses the via-in-pad which can cause void during soldering of the board through via plating or air trapped in the cavity during printing.
- ENIG and ImAg Finishes with Pb-Free Paste. // Circuits Assembly;Aug2006, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p54
The article provides information on electroless nickel immersion gold and immersion silver with lead (Pb)-free paste. When analyzing the reliability of different Pb-free surface finishes, it is common to evaluate a set of first-run or prototype assemblies. These assemblies are usually the first...
- The Impact of Solderability on Pb-free Soldering. Schouten, Gert // Circuits Assembly;Aug2006, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p56
The article discusses the impact of solderability on lead (Pb)-free soldering. Industry solderability requirements and test methods are based on Tin-Lead (SnPb). All test requirements, including surface solderability, thermal solderability and specific soldering distance, are based on that...
- The Downside of Selective Soldering. Munson, Terry // Circuits Assembly;Aug2006, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p58
The article discusses the disadvantage of selective soldering. The process solves an important attachment problem for large connectors and components. Another benefit of selective soldering is thermal protection of small components placed next to a through-hole component area. The problem occurs...
- In Case You Missed It. // Circuits Assembly;Aug2006, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p64
The article presents abstracts related to electronic circuits. They include "Implementing Lead-Free in a Manufacturing Environment: From Test Vehicle Design to High Volume Assembly," "Reliability Study of Ph-Free Area Array Packages with SnPb Soldering Processes," and "High Temperature Lead-Free...