Audubon's Mystery Birds
- Painter of the Feathered Tribe. Thomas, Phillip Drennon // Natural History;Apr85, Vol. 94 Issue 4, p95
Profiles ornithologist John James Audubon. Recognition of Audubon as one of America's nineteenth-century artist-naturalists. Wish of Audubon's father for him to become a naval officer; Earliest case of bird banding in the U.S., which Audubon completed at an early age; Details of his childhood;...
- Famous Ornithologists. // Monkeyshines on Health & Science;Jun97 Ornithology (Study of Birds), p34
The article presents an information about famous ornithologists. People have studied and observed birds since ancient times probably as far back as the Paleolithic Age. Classical study of birds most likely started with Aristotle and other Greek scholars around 300 B.C. Aristotle created a crude...
- Shy Songster of the Woodlands. Wright, Kathy Andrews // Illinois Audubon;Spring2013, Issue 324, p11
The article offers information on the small thrush veery species Catharus fuscescens first described by ornithologist Alexander Wilson, who cited it as Wilson's or tawny thrush. Ornithologist John James Audubon's description of the species is provided. It is also described to have a warm,...
- J.J. Audubon. // Country Living;Nov92, Vol. 15 Issue 11, p110
Presents a photo essay with text of the bird paintings of ornithologist John James Audubon. Life-size portraits of diverse species; How engraver Robert Havell created `The Birds of America,' prints based on Audubon's works; Collectibility today; Advice for collectors.
- Auduboniana. // Audubon;May85, Vol. 87 Issue 3, p6
Reports on developments related to naturalist John James Audubon as of May 1985. 200th birth anniversary of Audubon; Commemorative stamps in celebration to Audubon's birthday; Role of Audubon in the protection of birds; Museum exhibitions and special events celebrating Audubon's bicentennial;...
- IN SEARCH OF THE REAL MR. AUDUBON. Harwood, Michael; Durant, Mary // Audubon;May85, Vol. 87 Issue 3, p58
Explores the life of naturalist John James Audubon. Audubon's personality; Career highlights; Relations with his wife Lucy; Audubon's hobby of painting birds; Audubon's perception of life in the U.S.; Journal writings of Audubon about birds.
- John James Audubon Louisiana Artist. Weston, Debble // Monkeyshines on America;Dec2000 Louisiana Issue, p15
It was not until the 19th century that man wanted to enrich his appreciation of birds with scientific knowledge. Before that time, little had been known about the birds, plants and animals of North America, but all changed thanks to the great naturalists of the period and John James Audubon in...
- Book reviews. Walls, Laura Dassow; Bradford, James C. // Journal of the Early Republic;Summer96, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p324
Reviews the book `Had I the Wings: The Friendship of Bachman and Audubon,' by Jay Shuler.
- AuÂ·duÂ·bon. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p29
The article profiles American ornithologist and artist, John James Audubon. It mentions his date of birth and death. His contributions to the field of ornithology are cited.