Modeling of liming in acid agricultural soils of Libreville (Gabon)
- Influence of Calcareous Liming Materials on Soil Acidity and Aluminium Mobility. Sabienė, Nomeda // Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference: Rural De;2013, Vol. 6 Issue 3, p436
Soil acidification is one of the major factors of soil degradation as it disturbs the functioning of soil ecosystems, increases toxic mobile aluminium, results in reduced soil productivity. It depends on the environmental conditions as well as soil genesis. For the Western Lithuania the genetic...
- Garden soil can be better. Hirsch, Rich // Malakoff News (TX);2/15/2013, Vol. 104 Issue 7, p12
The article focuses on the improvement of soil in one's garden through the addition of organic matter which enhances both drainage and aeration, and also allows better quality plant root development.
- Interdisciplinary analysis of soil acidification hazard and its legacy effects in Lithuania. Eidukeviciene, M.; Volungevicius, J.; Marcinkonis, S.; Tripolskaja, L.; Karcauskiene, D.; Fullen, M. A.; Booth, C. A. // Natural Hazards & Earth System Sciences;2010, Vol. 10 Issue 7, p1477
An analysis of factors influencing effective soil acidification management is reported. This analysis was conducted simultaneously at both national and local levels. These investigations were accomplished in three stages: (i) validation of acid soil spatial patterns using systems analysis and...
- Acidifying Garden Soils. Evans, Ieuan // Prairie Garden;2010, Issue 71, p168
The article offers information on the role of soil hydrogen ion content (pH) in the plant growth. It mentions that the plants are classified either calcifuges which prefers low pH and calcecole. It notes the use of dolometric lime and limestone to raise the soil pH and improve the crop...
- FALL SOIL TUNE-UP. Nardozzi, Charlie // OG;Nov/Dec2002, Vol. 49 Issue 6, p36
Offers tips on soil treatment. Significance of organic soil amendments; Benefits from tilling; Technique in covering garden beds.
- LIVING SOIL. Coleman, Eliot // Organic Gardening (08973792);Oct89, Vol. 36 Issue 9, p67
Offers advice on how to keep garden soil healthy and fertile without soluble fertilizers. Approaches to soil amendments; Sources of nutrients for the soil; Importance of organic matter as soil builder; Role of mineral nutrients as raw materials for the soil.
- HARDPAN SOFTENER. // Organic Gardening (08973792);Oct89, Vol. 36 Issue 9, p75
Shares strategies used in improving soil fertility in an Idaho garden. Use of earthworms to turn clay into humus that could be bagged for soil; Enrichment of the soil with the use of organic materials.
- Impact of urban gardening in an equatorial zone on the soil and metal transfer to vegetables. ONDO, JEAN AUBIN; PRUDENT, PASCALE; MASSIANI, CATHERINE; BIYOGO, RICHARD MENYE; DOMEIZEL, MARIANE; RABIER, JACQUES; EBA, FRANÇOIS // Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society;Jul2013, Vol. 78 Issue 7, p1045
This study was aimed at assessing the impact of urban agriculture on physicochemical properties of the soil and the metal uptake by some leafy vegetables cultivated in urban soils of Libreville, Gabon. Cultivated and uncultivated topsoil and vegetable samples were collected from two urban garden...
- Patterns and mechanisms of soil acidification in the conversion of grasslands to forests. Jobbágy, Esteban G.; Jackson, Robert B. // Biogeochemistry;Jun2003, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p205
Grassland to forest conversions currently affect some of the world's most productive regions and have the potential to modify many soil properties. We used afforestation of native temperate humid grassland in the Pampas with eucalypts as an experimental system to 1) isolate forest and grassland...