YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE AND THE COMMON CORE: A SURPRISINGLY GOOD FIT
- Editor's Notes. Engber, Gillian // Booklist;12/15/2012, Vol. 109 Issue 8, p39
The article provides information from the editorial staff of "Booklist," specifically dealing with aligning book choices with the Common Core State Standards, a notable review of the audiobook "Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic," by Robert Burleighm, and young adult genres.
- Using the Common Core Standards to Meet the Needs of Diverse Learners: Challenges and Opportunities. Halladay, Juliet L.; Moses, Lindsey // New England Reading Association Journal;2013, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p33
The article discusses some specific challenges and opportunities related to implementing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) with diverse learners. It is said that the determination of whether students struggle is not always based on comparable evaluation data. The CCSS's focus on text...
- Editor's Notes. Engberg, Gillian // Booklist;10/1/2013, Vol. 110 Issue 3, p49
The article offers notes on young adult literature recommendations in the issue, material related to the U.S. education guidelines Common Core State standards at www.booklistonline.com/commoncore, and webinars for educators at www.booklistonline.com.
- Editor's Notes. Engberg, Gallian // Booklist;11/15/2013, Vol. 110 Issue 6, p34
The article offers notes on young adult literature recommendations in the issue, material related to the U.S. education guidelines Common Core State standards at www.booklistonline.com/commoncore, and recommendations for graphic novels that appear in the issue.
- Isn't Reading About More Than 'Evidence'? Hood, Mia // Education Week;10/1/2014, Vol. 34 Issue 6, p24
The author presents her thoughts on how reading under the Common Core State Standards, a set of U.S. educational standards, has focused too much on the primacy of textual evidence. She argues that asking students to consider text as only evidence fundamentally changes the reading experience by...
- COMMON CORE: Fact vs. Fiction. GREENE, KIM // Instructor;Fall2012, Vol. 122 Issue 2, p23
The article discusses the Common Core State Standards initiative in the U.S., which uses informational text of nonfiction text. It mentions some of the categories under informational text including historical, scientific and technical texts, which provide students with factual information about...
- Linking Learning and Literary Nonfiction. MORRIS, REBECCA J. // School Library Monthly;Apr2013, Vol. 29 Issue 7, p39
The article examines "literary nonfiction" as a component of informational texts and considers the links between literary nonfiction and inquiry. The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) introduced a focus on "literary nonfiction" in English/language arts and history and science to support its...
- The Common Core Goes to College: The Potential for Disciplinary Literacy Approaches in Developmental Literacy Classes. HOLSCHUH, JODI PATRICK // Journal of College Reading & Learning (College Reading & Learnin;2014, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p85
The article reports on creation of Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for developing qualifying standards of students. Topics discussed include debate on CCSS's role in early grades, implementation of CCSS's English Language Arts (ELA) in several states of the U.S., call of CCSS for complex text...
- Integrating Graphic Nonfiction Into Classroom Reading and Content Area Instruction: A Critical Literacy Focus on Selection Issues. MÖLLER, KARLA J. // Journal of Children's Literature;Fall2015, Vol. 41 Issue 2, p52
The author discusses the selection and evaluation of graphic nonfiction in classroom reading and content area instruction to engage students. Topics include the important role of nonfiction literature in classroom instruction to comply with the Common Core State Standards, the things to be...
- Editor's Notes. Engberg, Gillian // Booklist;12/1/2013, Vol. 110 Issue 7, p44
The article presents introductory information for the December 2013 issue, mentioning the journal's online Common Core resources page found at www.booklistonline.com/commoncore, featured reviews of reference titles, and the young adult book recommendation scheme utilized by the editors.