YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE AND THE COMMON CORE: A SURPRISINGLY GOOD FIT
- Editor's Notes. Engber, Gillian // Booklist;12/15/2012, Vol. 109 Issue 8, p39
The article provides information from the editorial staff of "Booklist," specifically dealing with aligning book choices with the Common Core State Standards, a notable review of the audiobook "Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic," by Robert Burleighm, and young adult genres.
- Editor's Page. Barclay, Kathy // Illinois Reading Council Journal;Fall2012, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses two commentaries published within the issue, "Linking Reading Levels and Reading Growth: A Case for Matching Students with Books They Can Read in the Era of the Common Core State Standards," by Jerry Johns, and "Common...
- Editor's Notes. Engberg, Gallian // Booklist;11/15/2013, Vol. 110 Issue 6, p34
The article offers notes on young adult literature recommendations in the issue, material related to the U.S. education guidelines Common Core State standards at www.booklistonline.com/commoncore, and recommendations for graphic novels that appear in the issue.
- Editor's Notes. Engberg, Gillian // Booklist;10/1/2013, Vol. 110 Issue 3, p49
The article offers notes on young adult literature recommendations in the issue, material related to the U.S. education guidelines Common Core State standards at www.booklistonline.com/commoncore, and webinars for educators at www.booklistonline.com.
- Driving the Reading Act: Shifting Between the Aesthetic and Efferent Stance When Approaching Informational Text in the Common Core Era. PARENTI, MELISSA // California Reader;
With the onset of the Common Core Standard initiative, an increase in informational text is encouraged. Student routes for approaching this informational text tends to look very different than the approach taken when reading narrative text. This article addresses the reading of informational...
- Using the Common Core Standards to Meet the Needs of Diverse Learners: Challenges and Opportunities. Halladay, Juliet L.; Moses, Lindsey // New England Reading Association Journal;2013, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p33
The article discusses some specific challenges and opportunities related to implementing the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) with diverse learners. It is said that the determination of whether students struggle is not always based on comparable evaluation data. The CCSS's focus on text...
- From the Editor. COCKERHAM, BARBARA // California Reader;Spring2013, Vol. 46 Issue 3, p3
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses the importance of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) and cites articles published within the issue including an article by Barbara Moss about the use of informational texts, an article by Jill Castek on technology and...
- ScienceWorld TEACHER'S GUIDE VOL. 70, NO. 6 DECEMBER 9, 2013. // Science World (Teacher's Edition);12/9/2013, Vol. 70 Issue 6, pT1
The article presents several lesson plans for developing common core state standards for grade levels 5-12 including reading informational text skill from the article "Quake-Proof Bridge," reading informational text from the article "The Big Melt," and writing standards from the article...
- Don't Keep the Good Stuff Secret. Scherer, Marge // Educational Leadership;Nov2013, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p7
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the November 2013 issue on topics including the U.S. Common Core State Standards, reading expectations for college students, and the focus on nonfiction literature in primary school.