Tetrodotoxin Versus Ciguatera Fish Poisoning in the Mediterranean Sea
- Scombrotoxic fish poisoning. Cruickshank, J.G.; Williams, H.R. // British Medical Journal;9/9/1978, Vol. 2 Issue 6139, p739
Presents a case study scombrotoxic fish poisoning. Examples of scombroid fish; Toxicity in the flesh of fish; Manifestation of scombroid fish poisoning.
- Watch out for more than bones in fish. Crump, Vincent // New Zealand Doctor;11/17/2004, p31
Presents information on ailments that can be found in seafoods. Ciguatera poisoning; Toxic shellfish poisoning; Tetrodotoxin toxicity.
- Update on Methodologies Available for Ciguatoxin Determination: Perspectives to Confront the Onset of Ciguatera Fish Poisoning in Europe . Caillaud, Amandine; de la Iglesia, Pablo; Darius, H. Taiana; Pauillac, Serge; Aligizaki, Katerina; Fraga, Santiago; Chinain, Mireille; Diog�ne, Jorge // Marine Drugs;Jun2010, Vol. 8 Issue 6, p1838
Ciguatera fish poisoning (CFP) occurs mainly when humans ingest finfish contaminated with ciguatoxins (CTXs). The complexity and variability of such toxins have made it difficult to develop reliable methods to routinely monitor CFP with specificity and sensitivity. This review aims to describe...
- Ciguatoxins activate specific cold pain pathways to elicit burning pain from cooling. Vetter, Irina; Touska, Filip; Hess, Andreas; Hinsbey, Rachel; Sattler, Simon; Lampert, Angelika; Sergejeva, Marina; Sharov, Anastasia; Collins, Lindon S; Eberhardt, Mirjam; Engel, Matthias; Cabot, Peter J; Wood, John N; Vlachová, Viktorie; Reeh, Peter W; Lewis, Richard J; Zimmermann, Katharina // EMBO Journal;10/3/2012, Vol. 31 Issue 19, p3795
Ciguatoxins are sodium channel activator toxins that cause ciguatera, the most common form of ichthyosarcotoxism, which presents with peripheral sensory disturbances, including the pathognomonic symptom of cold allodynia which is characterized by intense stabbing and burning pain in response to...
- Determination of marine biotoxins relevant for regulations: from the mouse bioassay to coupled LC-MS methods. Christian, Bernd; Luckas, Bernd // Analytical & Bioanalytical Chemistry;May2008, Vol. 391 Issue 1, p117
The frequency of occurrence and intensity of harmful algal blooms (HABs) appear to be increasing on a global scale. Consequently, methods were established for the evaluation of possible hazards caused by the enrichment of algal toxins in the marine food chain. Different clinical types of...
- Public Health Response to Puffer Fish (Tetrodotoxin) Poisoning from Mislabeled Product. COHEN, NICOLE J.; DEEDS, JONATHAN R.; WONG, EUGENE S.; HANNER, ROBERT H.; YANCY, HALLE F.; WHITE, KEVIN D.; THOMPSON, TREVONNE M.; WAHL, MICHAEL; PHAM, TU D.; GUICHARD, FRANCES M.; IN HUH; AUSTIN, CONNIE; DIZIKES, GEORGE; GERBER, SUSAN I. // Journal of Food Protection;Apr2009, Vol. 72 Issue 4, p810
Tetrodotoxin is a neurotoxin that occurs in select species of the family Tetraodontidae (puffer fish). It causes paralysis and potentially death if ingested in sufficient quantities. In 2007, two individuals developed symptoms consistent with tetrodotoxin poisoning after ingesting home-cooked...
- Use of Biosensors as Alternatives to Current Regulatory Methods for Marine Biotoxins. Vilariño, Natalia; Fonfría, Eva S.; Louzao, M. Carmen; Botana, Luis M. // Sensors (14248220);2009, Vol. 9 Issue 11, p9414
Marine toxins are currently monitored by means of a bioassay that requires the use of many mice, which poses a technical and ethical problem in many countries. With the exception of domoic acid, there is a legal requirement for the presence of other toxins (yessotoxin, saxitoxin and analogs,...
- Certain fish from tropical locales could harbor a dangerous toxin. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Nov98, Vol. 16 Issue 9, p3
Warns that certain kind of fish living in warm, shallow location in the Pacific, Indian Oceans and Caribbean area can cause a type of foodborne illness called ciguatera poisoning. Information on ciguatera outbreak in Texas; Symptoms of ciguatera; Details on how ciguatera toxin is produced; Ways...
- Poison patrol. // Science World;3/22/96, Vol. 52 Issue 12, p19
Reports that Puerto Rico native Gladys Escalona de Motta, is searching for a cure for ciguatera, a form of poisoning that strikes its victims from the dinner plates. How ciguatera is caught; Role of dinoflagellates in ciguatera; Goal of Escalona.