Ky. Road-Tests Common Core
- New York's Student Opt-Out Rate for Testing Hits 20 Percent. UJIFUSA, ANDREW // Education Week;8/19/2015, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p4
The article looks at standardized achievement testing in New York state based on the Common Core State Standards curriculum frameworks, reporting on the share of students in grades three through eight opting out of taking the tests and on the 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 test results.
- THE NEXT TESTS. FINK, JENNIFER L. W. // Instructor;Summer2013, Vol. 122 Issue 6, p36
The article presents information on educational assessments related to the U.S. Common Core standards. The author looks at the digital assessment tools that monitor student progress, the emphasis on digital literacy, reading, and writing, and the Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) and...
- Study Weighs Cost Landscape Facing Common-Core Tests. Gewertz, Catherine // Education Week;11/6/2013, Vol. 33 Issue 11, p21
The article discusses a report from the think tank Brookings Institution which found that the prices of assessments developed by two federally funded consorita of U.S. states to align with the common core state standards will only increase marginally if some states withdraw. It notes that states...
- PARCC Under Gun As States Drop Out. Ujifusa, Andrew // Education Week;8/5/2015, Vol. 34 Issue 37, p1
The article reports on the decision of several U.S. states to end their affiliation with the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC) consortium which is the sponsor of standardized tests aligned with the Common Core State Standards. It discusses the impact of...
- Common-Core Hurdle: Calming Jittery Districts. Ujifusa, Andrew // Education Week;11/6/2013, Vol. 33 Issue 11, p1
The article discusses U.S. school district implementation of Common Core State Standards for education in 2013, and mentions district versus state control of education policies, students' data privacy, and conservatives' attitudes toward controversial books on Core reading lists. Education...
- Common-Core Tensions Cause Union Heartburn. Ujifusa, Andrew; Sawchuk, Stephen // Education Week;2/19/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 21, p1
The article reports that support for the Common Core State Standards is wavering among U.S. teachers' unions, such as the National Education Association (NEA), due to factors such as flawed implementation, concerns over testing related to the standards, and internal state-union relationships. It...
- Worms! Kids! What Could Go Wrong? Welty, Tara // Instructor;Spring2013, Vol. 122 Issue 5, p4
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including U.S. Common Core State Standards, reading in science education, and STEM education.
- Libraries and the Common Core. // Library Media Connection;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p50
The article presents a list of ways librarians can help schools to uphold the U.S. Common Core Learning Standards, including providing book recommendations, research projects that promote learning, and assisting teachers in text selection.
- Text Deep-Dive. PRYLE, MARILYN // Instructor;Spring2015, Vol. 124 Issue 5, p62
The article describes activity programs for primary education focusing on Common Core State Standards including "Concrete Found Poems," "Chain of Events," and "Create a Mockumentary."