Jackie Robinson's fight against racism: the untold story
- Jackie Robinson: Game Changer. // Time International (Atlantic Edition);LIFE Supplement, p4
A photograph is presented of baseball player Jackie Robinson and information is provided on how he changed professional sports in the U.S. by becoming the first African American to play on a major league team while enduring racism, death threats, and abuse.
- Branch Rickey Hurls Barbed Insults at Jackie Robinson. Carlson, Peter // American History;Jun2013, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p28
The article describes a meeting between African American baseball player Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team of Brooklyn, New York, in which Rickey asked Robinson to join the Dodgers and subsequently integrate U.S. baseball. Focus is given to...
- Jackie Robinson: He changed baseball. David, L. // Boys' Life;Feb1991, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p16
Profiles baseball great Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play in the modern major baseball leagues. Family background; Education; When he first started playing professional baseball; How he became a Dodger; The reception he got from fans and team players during his first year.
- How blacks view sports in post-Robinson era. Walker, Sam // Christian Science Monitor;4/15/97, Vol. 89 Issue 97, p1
Gives information on Jackie Robinson, a 50-year old baseball player who endured all the racist comments from persons in Major League Baseball and was the first black baseball player to integrate professional sports. Background information on Robinson; Details on his sporting career; Comments...
- Remembering Mr. Robinson. Heller, Dick // Insight on the News;04/28/97, Vol. 13 Issue 15, p39
Commemorates the death anniversary of baseball player Jackie Robinson. Challenging of the notion that people with color were inferior to others; Election to the Hall of Fame; Activism for black causes; Involvement in business affairs.
- For men only. // Marriage Partnership;Fall97, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p68
Presents a quotation by Jackie Robinson, Brooklyn Dodgers infielder who broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball.
- Jackie Robinson. Adler, D. // Cricket;Feb1992, Vol. 19 Issue 6, p39
Profiles Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play modern-day major league baseball. His childhood; Outstanding high school and college athlete; Why he was court-martialed during World War II; How he became a Brooklyn Dodgers baseball player with help from team president Branch Rickey;...
- Baseball player and fighter for black equality. // Newsweek;4/13/87, Vol. 109 Issue 15, p88
Opinion. Jackie Robinson was not just a second baseman. Forty years ago he took the field for the Dodgers on opening day against the Boston Braves. It was his first major league game and the most important event in the emancipation of black Americans since the Civil War. In 1944, Robinson was...
- Jackie Robinson: Leading the way. McCollum, Sean // Scholastic Update;04/11/97, Vol. 129 Issue 13, p18
Profiles baseball player Jackie Robinson. Family background; Educational attainment; Career in baseball; Achievements and awards received; Contributions to the sports.