Jackie Robinson's fight against racism: the untold story
- Jackie Robinson: Game Changer. // Time International (Atlantic Edition);LIFE Supplement, p4
A photograph is presented of baseball player Jackie Robinson and information is provided on how he changed professional sports in the U.S. by becoming the first African American to play on a major league team while enduring racism, death threats, and abuse.
- Branch Rickey Hurls Barbed Insults at Jackie Robinson. Carlson, Peter // American History;Jun2013, Vol. 48 Issue 2, p28
The article describes a meeting between African American baseball player Jackie Robinson and Branch Rickey, president of the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team of Brooklyn, New York, in which Rickey asked Robinson to join the Dodgers and subsequently integrate U.S. baseball. Focus is given to...
- Jackie Robinson made minor league debut 50 years ago with Montreal Royals. // Jet;5/6/96, Vol. 89 Issue 25, p51
Reports on baseball player Jackie Robinson's debut with the Montreal Royals baseball team on April 18, 1946. Robinson's record for the debut.
- Jackie Robinson. Robinson, Rachel // Essence (Essence);Nov96, Vol. 27 Issue 7, p52
Pays tributes to legendary baseball player Jackie Robinson. Johnson's involvement with the civil rights movement; Accomplishments in the baseball scene.
- Inspiration. Glasser, Ira; McCallum, Jack // Sports Illustrated;04/07/97, Vol. 86 Issue 14, p15
Shares the author's memories of the inspiration he received from Jackie Robinson. The author as the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU); Remembering Robinson's playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers; The sense of community between black and white fans at Ebbets Field.
- Jackie Robinson: He changed baseball. David, L. // Boys' Life;Feb1991, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p16
Profiles baseball great Jackie Robinson, the first black man to play in the modern major baseball leagues. Family background; Education; When he first started playing professional baseball; How he became a Dodger; The reception he got from fans and team players during his first year.
- How blacks view sports in post-Robinson era. Walker, Sam // Christian Science Monitor;4/15/97, Vol. 89 Issue 97, p1
Gives information on Jackie Robinson, a 50-year old baseball player who endured all the racist comments from persons in Major League Baseball and was the first black baseball player to integrate professional sports. Background information on Robinson; Details on his sporting career; Comments...
- Remembering Mr. Robinson. Heller, Dick // Insight on the News;04/28/97, Vol. 13 Issue 15, p39
Commemorates the death anniversary of baseball player Jackie Robinson. Challenging of the notion that people with color were inferior to others; Election to the Hall of Fame; Activism for black causes; Involvement in business affairs.
- For men only. // Marriage Partnership;Fall97, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p68
Presents a quotation by Jackie Robinson, Brooklyn Dodgers infielder who broke the color barrier in Major League Baseball.