Animal behaviour: Feeding habits of the vampire squid
- What does a vampire squid eat? // Veterinary Ireland Journal;Nov2012, Vol. 2 Issue 11, p533
The article offers information on the nutrition of vampire squid.
- Vampire squid from hell eats faeces to survive inky depths. // New Scientist;9/29/2012, Vol. 215 Issue 2884, p14
The article cites a 2012 report in the journal "Proceedings of the Royal Society B" regarding a study by Henk-Jan Hoving at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute in California that found vampire squid (Vampyroteuthis infernalis) do not hunt living prey.
- Depths of Hunger. A. B. // Natural History;Nov2012, Vol. 120 Issue 9, p7
This article discusses the research conducted by marine biologists Hendrik J. T. Hoving and Bruce H. Robison that was published in the "Proceedings of the Royal Society B" concerning the feeding and behavior of vampire squid (Vampyroteuthis infernalis) in environments lacking oxygen and nutrients.
- Mysteries of the Twilight Zone. Tangley, Laura // National Wildlife;Oct/Nov2001, Vol. 39 Issue 6, p52
Features nocturnal deep sea creatures. Method of the gelatinous sea monster in attracting prey; Mechanisms of clams and tube worms in eating; Association of vampire squids with octopuses and squids.
- Vampire squid. // Encyclopedia of Animals;2006, p1
The vampire squid does not receive its name from its diet but from the purple-black cape formed by the web of its tentacles. The tentacles seize other small creatures which then become tangled before being eaten. The vampire squid is a rare species and may be the only species in this family.
- GRIFTOPIA: U.S. gov't exposed as slavish lapdog for financial companies. LaBerge, Roy // CCPA Monitor;Feb2011, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p17
The article reviews the book "Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con that is Breaking America," by Matt Taibbi.
- Fish say the darndest things. Goodman, Susan // National Wildlife;Feb/Mar96, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p48
Reports on Philip Lobel search for tell tale noises of mating fish to measure their reproduction. Impact of Lobel's spawn-o-meter device; Communication of fishes; Views of Lobel; Predictions. INSETS: Fish call function.;Peaceful aquarium? Don't bet on it!..
- Fish with chips. Eaves, Ricky // Bulletin with Newsweek;2/7/95, Vol. 116 Issue 5956, p38
Reports on the development in Australia of device to track tuna. Implanting computerized tag in the fish stomach; Recording information about body temperature and the depth at which the fish is swimming; Setting it in the wild; Flight of inventor Miron Nicolau and his wife Ana from 1990 riots in...
- Food craving. Denny, Sharon // Current Health 2;Feb97, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p16
Explains various aspects of food craving behaviors. Comparison of food cravings between males and females; Relationship of food and mood; Tips on how to control food cravings. INSET: How many doughnuts make a binge?..