Exploring Common Core State Standards with Study of Ancient Egypt
- Kentucky: The First Domino? HARTNETT, JUDY FAUST // Scholastic Administrator;Winter2013, Vol. 12 Issue 4, p10
The article discusses the state of Kentucky which was the first U.S. state to adopt the Common Core standards and become a part of the Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers (PARCC), a 23-state consortium working on a Core-aligned assessment system in the school year...
- President's Perspective. // California English;Sep2014, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p4
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of increasing her knowledge and understanding of the ELA Common Core Standards on the Instructional Shifts in Reading.
- Is Skimming a Literacy Skill In the Common-Core Standards? HEITIN, LIANA // Education Week;2/5/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 20, p10
The article discusses how literacy consultant Sarah Tantillo has suggested that skimming and scanning literature is an important skill and should be considered a requirement for U.S. Common Core State Standards in English/language arts and close literacy analysis.
- Editor's Notes. Engber, Gillian // Booklist;12/15/2012, Vol. 109 Issue 8, p39
The article provides information from the editorial staff of "Booklist," specifically dealing with aligning book choices with the Common Core State Standards, a notable review of the audiobook "Night Flight: Amelia Earhart Crosses the Atlantic," by Robert Burleighm, and young adult genres.
- With Black History Resources. GREEN, JULIE // Booklist;2/1/2013, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p57
Lesson plans for Common Core State Standard elementary classes are presented, based on books such as "Blackjack: The Ballad of Jack Johnson" by Charles R. Smith and "Molly, by Golly! The Legend of Molly Williams, America's First Female Firefighter" by Dianne Ochiltree.
- Don't Keep the Good Stuff Secret. Scherer, Marge // Educational Leadership;Nov2013, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p7
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the November 2013 issue on topics including the U.S. Common Core State Standards, reading expectations for college students, and the focus on nonfiction literature in primary school.
- CORE FOCUS. Buzzeo, Toni // Library Sparks;Oct2015, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p40
The article discusses three books which celebrate diversity in children's literature in addition to library activities which focus on Common Core Reading, Writing, Speaking and Listening standards. The books which encompass grade bands from kindergarten to grade five are Caribou Song by Tomson...
- Common Core Connections: National Treasures. // Booklist;9/1/2015 Supplement Book Links, p10
Several lesson plans are presents for connecting children's books on American national characteristics, reviewed in a previous article in the issue, to U.S. Common Core State Standards educational requirements.
- Common Core Connections: Women in Politics. // Booklist;9/1/2015 Supplement Book Links, p22
Several lesson plan activities are presented for teaching children's literature on women in politics, reviewed in a previous article within the issue, in compliance with the U.S. Common Core State Standards frameworks.
- Common Core Connections: Poetry in Picture Books. // Booklist;9/1/2015 Supplement Book Links, p36
The article presents lesson plan activities for teaching with several children's poetry and picture books reviewed in a previous article in the issue in compliance with the U.S. Common Core State Standards frameworks.