Exploring Common Core State Standards with Study of Ancient Egypt
- ScienceWorld TEACHER'S GUIDE VOL. 70, NO. 6 DECEMBER 9, 2013. // Science World (Teacher's Edition);12/9/2013, Vol. 70 Issue 6, pT1
The article presents several lesson plans for developing common core state standards for grade levels 5-12 including reading informational text skill from the article "Quake-Proof Bridge," reading informational text from the article "The Big Melt," and writing standards from the article...
- Don't Keep the Good Stuff Secret. Scherer, Marge // Educational Leadership;Nov2013, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p7
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the November 2013 issue on topics including the U.S. Common Core State Standards, reading expectations for college students, and the focus on nonfiction literature in primary school.
- Editor's Page. Barclay, Kathy // Illinois Reading Council Journal;Fall2012, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses two commentaries published within the issue, "Linking Reading Levels and Reading Growth: A Case for Matching Students with Books They Can Read in the Era of the Common Core State Standards," by Jerry Johns, and "Common...
- Dig In! Philpot, Chelsey // School Library Journal;Apr2013, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p73
An introduction is presented to a series of book reviews on nonfiction children's series in which the author discusses the U.S. educational standards Common Core State Standards (CCSS), the importance of challenging students, and the educational benefits of combining facts and visuals.
- What's in the Standards and What We Need to Teach. McLaughlin, Maureen; Overturf, Brenda // Reading Today;Oct/Nov2012, Vol. 30 Issue 2, p35
The article discusses the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in teaching reading in the U.S. It mentions the construction of the standards on an integrated model of literacy and the instruction choices in reading are left to teachers. It notes that teachers need to teach reading comprehension...
- What Now, Educators? Scherer, Marge // Educational Leadership;Dec2012/Jan2013, Vol. 70 Issue 4, p7
An introduction is presented in which the author discusses topics in the issue, such as the educational framework the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in the U.S., academic achievement, and reading in the classroom.
- YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE AND THE COMMON CORE: A SURPRISINGLY GOOD FIT. OSTENSON, JONATHAN; WADHAM, RACHEL // American Secondary Education;Fall2012, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p4
Advocates have long argued that an increased role for young adult literature in the classroom would help students' reading development. At first glance, the widely adopted Common Core State Standards might seem in opposition to an increased role for such literature. A closer examination of the...
- Guiding readers in the middle grades. Morgan, Denise N.; Williams, Jeffrey L.; Clark, Barbara; Hatteberg, Scott; Hauptman, Gayle Marek; Kozel, Claudia; Paris, Joe // Middle School Journal;Jan2013, Vol. 44 Issue 3, p16
The article presents an analysis of the method of guided reading techniques in the U.S. that render a deeper perspective of the one guided reading lesson. According to the authors, the method is set to effectively help students who find it hard to learn and enjoy reading. It is suggested that...
- Reading Is Core to Learning. // School Library Monthly;Nov2012, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p2
The article introduces various reports published within the issue, including one titled "Reading Comprehension at the Core of the Library Program" and another about Common Core State Standards.