Exploring Common Core State Standards with Study of Ancient Egypt
- From the Editor. Boyd-Batstone, Paul // California Reader;Fall2014, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including the foundational skills in reading, text-based questioning in close reading and a review of "The Common Core Coaching Book: Strategies to Help Teachers Address the K-5 ELA Standards."
- Time to Recognize the Needs of ELs. Brinkman, Josephine A. // Language Magazine;Jul2014, Vol. 13 Issue 11, p8
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Cutting to the Common Core: The Benefits of Narrow Reading Units" which appeared in the April 2014 issue.
- What Happened to the Frog? Hunt, Jonathan // Horn Book Magazine;Nov/Dec2014, Vol. 90 Issue 6, p39
The author discusses the need for teachers and librarians in the U.S. to have a strong knowledge of the children's literature that can support the common core state standards. He cites the variation on the College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards for Reading. He relates how he prepared the...
- Theme Comprehension: Beyond the Details. Lord, Kathleen M. // Kappa Delta Pi Record;Oct-Dec2014, Vol. 50 Issue 4, p181
Even though theme is cited in two of the 10 Common Core Standards for Reading Literature, little is written on how to teach it. Determining theme while reading a story is a critical element of reading literature, yet some children simply struggle. The instructional strategies presented here are...
- ScienceWorld TEACHER'S GUIDE VOL. 70, NO. 6 DECEMBER 9, 2013. // Science World (Teacher's Edition);12/9/2013, Vol. 70 Issue 6, pT1
The article presents several lesson plans for developing common core state standards for grade levels 5-12 including reading informational text skill from the article "Quake-Proof Bridge," reading informational text from the article "The Big Melt," and writing standards from the article...
- Don't Keep the Good Stuff Secret. Scherer, Marge // Educational Leadership;Nov2013, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p7
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the November 2013 issue on topics including the U.S. Common Core State Standards, reading expectations for college students, and the focus on nonfiction literature in primary school.
- President's Perspective. // California English;Sep2014, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p4
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of increasing her knowledge and understanding of the ELA Common Core Standards on the Instructional Shifts in Reading.
- Editor's Page. Barclay, Kathy // Illinois Reading Council Journal;Fall2012, Vol. 40 Issue 4, p1
An introduction to the journal is presented in which the editor discusses two commentaries published within the issue, "Linking Reading Levels and Reading Growth: A Case for Matching Students with Books They Can Read in the Era of the Common Core State Standards," by Jerry Johns, and "Common...
- Dig In! Philpot, Chelsey // School Library Journal;Apr2013, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p73
An introduction is presented to a series of book reviews on nonfiction children's series in which the author discusses the U.S. educational standards Common Core State Standards (CCSS), the importance of challenging students, and the educational benefits of combining facts and visuals.