- The influence of moonlight on activity of woolly opossums (Caluromys philander). Julien-Laferriere, Didier // Journal of Mammalogy;Feb97, Vol. 78 Issue 1, p251
Studies the influence of moonlight on activity of woolly opossums (Caluromys philander). Level and duration of activity per night as a function of the moon phase in male and female C. philander; Mean index of activity and duration of activity according to the moon phase in male and female C....
- Evolution and the question of good looks. Middleton, H. // Southern Living;Aug90, Vol. 25 Issue 8, p25
Describes the opossum, North America's only marsupial. Habitat; Size; Behavior; Young; Food; Defensive behaviors.
- Some facts about the preposterous possum. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Jul/Aug90, Vol. 74 Issue 4, p55
Describes the breeding habits and physical appearance of opossums, the only North American marsupial.
- The surprisingly social loner. Stewart, Doug // National Wildlife (World Edition);Apr/May93, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p12
Reveals scientific studies showing the opossum's social life. Behavior; Eating and mating habits; Ability to play dead; Fur-lined abdominal pouch; Odoriferous aspects; Suitability as a study animal; Hypothesis in offspring gender.
- Playing possum. // Americas;Jul/Aug86, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p28
Central and Latin American opossums--their high reproductive output, short lives, diet and habitat.
- Maternal denning behavior and survival of juveniles in opossums in southeastern New York. Hossler, Robert J.; McAninch, Jay B. // Journal of Mammalogy;Feb94, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p60
Studies maternal denning behavior and survival of juvenile opossum in southeastern New York. Observation of reproductive patterns of opossums; Reflection of the energetic demands of severe winter weather; Location of weaning dens; Juvenile survival.
- Escape behavior of Virginia opossums. Ladine, Troy A.; Kissel Jr., Robert E. // American Midland Naturalist;Oct94, Vol. 132 Issue 2, p234
Presents a mathematical model of the escape behavior of Virginia opossums, Didelphus virginiana. Quantification of the escape behavior in relation to habitat direction of release, number of directional changes, distance to temporary refuge and type of temporary refuge; Indication of escape...
- HUGS and cuddles. Bishop, Gerry // Ranger Rick;Aug2002, Vol. 36 Issue 8, p2
Analyzes the behavior of opossums. Physical description; Details on cuddling behavior of the mother with her babies; Benefits of cuddling.
- Possums can be chicken killers. Dunn, H.M. // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 81 Issue 6, p12
Warns on the possibility of possums killing chickens, kittens and puppies. Killing ability of possums as experienced by the author.