- NUMERICAL SIMULATION OF FLOW AND CONTAMINANT MIGRATION AT A MUNICIPAL LANDFILL. Fatta, D.; Naoum, C.; Karlis, P.; Loizidou, M. // Journal of Environmental Hydrology;2000, Vol. 8, p1
The article examines a case study involving an unconfined aquifer in the vicinity of a landfill sites. In recent years there has been an increasing concern for groundwater contamination caused by the disposal of solid waste in landfills. Numerical models for steady state groundwater flow in...
- The role of hydrogeology in solution-subsidence development and its environmental impacts: a case-study for Sazlica (Nigde, Turkey) Afsin, M.; Celik, M. // Environmental Geology;Dec1998, Vol. 36 Issue 3/4, p335
The present article is the second in a series of baseline water quality evaluation studies in parts of south-eastern Nigeria. Study results indicate that the water samples from the study are generally acidic, soft and fresh in addition to low sodium and salinity hazard. Regression equations...
- Electrical geophysical and hydrogeological investigations of groundwater aquifers in Ruseifa municipal landfill, Jordan. Al-Tarazi, E.; El-Naqa, A.; El-Waheidi, M.; Abu Rajab, J. // Environmental Geology;Sep2006, Vol. 50 Issue 7, p1095
The effect of the Ruseifa municipal landfill on the shallow groundwater aquifers in the area was investigated in two separate sites. The first one was not used since 1994, whereas the other is still being used for dumping. Fourteen electrical resistivity soundings were performed to detect the...
- Analysis of landfill components in estimating the percolated leachate to groundwater using the HELP model. Alslaibi, Tamer M.; Mogheir, Yunes K.; Afifi, Samir // Water Science & Technology;2010, Vol. 62 Issue 8, p1727
Landfills are one of the groundwater pollution sources in Gaza Strip. This study focuses on two landfills operating in Gaza Strip; the first is Dear Al Balah landfill which has a lining system and the second landfill is Gaza landfill which does not have a lining system. The main objective of the...
- TRASH LAND. // Scholastic SuperScience;Mar2001, Vol. 12 Issue 6, p8
Examines how landfills keep groundwater from becoming trash stew. INSET: WILL WE EVER DUMP LANDFILLS?.
- Can burrowing animals cause groundwater contamination Johnson, David I.; Dudderar, Glenn R. // Waste Age;Mar1988, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p108
No abstract available.
- Ground water contamination at Finnish landfills Assmuth, T. W.; Strandberg, T. // Water, Air & Soil Pollution;Jul1993, Vol. 69 Issue 1/2, p179
No abstract available.
- ZAGREB UPGRADES ITS CITY DUMP TO ENSURE SAFE WATER SUPPLY. Reina, Peter // ENR: Engineering News-Record;12/14/1998, Vol. 241 Issue 22, p22
Reports the rehabilitation of a municipal landfill site to control groundwater contamination in Zagreb, Croatia. Effects of unlined landfill on water supply; Source of loans for the rehabilitation financing; Daily load of solid wastes dumped at the landfill; Results of a feasibility study...
- Feds fund study on closed Illinois landfills. Peltier, Michael // Waste News;02/12/2001, Vol. 6 Issue 37, p17
Cites plans by state and federal officials to take water samples to determine if two Illinois landfills that closed in 1975 are contaminating ground water. Conduct of tests as part of a plan to clean up the 23-acre site; Dumping of construction and demolition debris and smudge on the property.