- Bill Clinton's $30,000 volunteer. Grassley, Chuck // Human Events;12/2/94, Vol. 50 Issue 46, p11
Deals with a critical appraisal of the Clinton Administration's AmeriCorps program, designed to encourage young people to volunteer for community service. Financial costs of the program; Suggestions towards the encouragement of community service.
- The new youth brigades. Quinn, Jane Bryant; Ehrenfield, Temma // Newsweek;8/9/1993, Vol. 122 Issue 6, p45
Opinion. Looks at some programs that are the advance guard for President Bill Clinton's proposed Corporation for National Service. Summer of Service (SOS); VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America); Civilian Community Corps; Retired Senior Volunteers; Paid volunteerism; Charles Moskos' book `A...
- National service entangled. // America;7/3/1993, Vol. 169 Issue 1, p3
Editorial. Discusses the concept of service in the light of President Bill Clinton's proposed system of volunteer national service. Service in exchange for college scholarship; Details of program; Senator Harris Wofford's comments; Cato Institute senior fellow Douglas L. Bandow's comments;...
- The `soul' and sell of national service. Fineman, Howard // Newsweek;5/10/1993, Vol. 121 Issue 19, p33
States that while national service was a cornerstone of President Bill Clinton's 1992 presidential campaign, the program he outlined in New Orleans last Friday was a shadow of last year's rhetoric. Price tag for the first plan made the idea a nonstarter; The trimmed down version; Proposed...
- 'We're pulling teeth to make the National Citizen Service work.'. Wiggins, Kaye // Third Sector;7/12/2011, Issue 668, p7
The article reports on the bumpy start of the National Citizen Service, the Great Britain government's voluntary summer program for 15- and 16-years-old, wherein they will spend six-weeks volunteering and participating in an outdoor challenge.
- notes. Tran, Lisa // Teach;May/Jun2013, p5
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including voluntourism, dealing with mental disorders inside the classroom, and environmental education.
- The case for paid `volunteering.' Waldman, Steven // U.S. News & World Report;04/28/97, Vol. 122 Issue 16, p36
Opinion. Offers the author's recommendations as to how the United States federal government should handle national service and volunteering. The memo that the author, and Harris Wofford, presented to President Bill Clinton which argued for national service based more on a GI bill model than a...
- Volunteerism to fight global warming. // Occupational Hazards;Dec93, Vol. 55 Issue 12, p17
Reports that United States President Bill Clinton has proposed volunteerism as a measure to reduce the nation's `greenhouse' gas emissions. Details of the proposal; Approval from industry groups; Criticism from environmental organizations.
- ECONOMICS: A SERIOUS OMISSION. Sanera, Michael; Shaw, Jane S. // Blueprint for Environmental Education;1999, p25
The article focuses on the teaching of environmental issues particularly on the harmful environmental effect of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) in the U.S. It states that educational materials leave out some important information for children including recycling paper doesn't necessarily save trees,...